CPU NOT Detected or failed

Gaming Scr0b

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
So I had decided to upgrade my computer and when I first tried to turn it on, it wouldn't post anything.

Specs:
i5 6600k
16gb ddr4 ram 2400mhz
evga gtx 970 sc
evga b1 750w psu
msi b250 gaming pro carbon motherboard

On the motherboard, there is an ez debug led and it displays the cpu is not detected or failed. I have tried reseating the cpu and checked all the cables to see if they are connected. I tried to debug with only a cpul, ram, gpu, and motherboard with the psu but it did not work. I took off the cpu heatsink and fan to see if it was working but feeling the cpu, which it does because it warms up. I have tried the guide on tom's hardware but no luck. Any suggestions?

Solution
Try reseating the cpu one more time making sure that its lined up, I've been guilty of putting it in the wrong way (the cpu can only go in one direction) and it would cause that. After you do that, keep it unplugged, remove the cmos battery and press the power button a few times to make sure all power from the motherboard is expelled. Then put the battery back in and plug it back into power and try again. Don't forget to replace the thermal paste.

TwilightRavens

Reputable
Mar 17, 2017
Try reseating the cpu one more time making sure that its lined up, I've been guilty of putting it in the wrong way (the cpu can only go in one direction) and it would cause that. After you do that, keep it unplugged, remove the cmos battery and press the power button a few times to make sure all power from the motherboard is expelled. Then put the battery back in and plug it back into power and try again. Don't forget to replace the thermal paste.

Solution

Gaming Scr0b

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015

Should I unplug the 24pin connector while doing this because the 24pin does power the motherboard.