CPU not drawing enough wattage?

KHADER87

Honorable
Feb 25, 2015
Hi,
I have the below rig
i7 4790 running at steady 3.8ghz on all cores.
16GB DDR3 1600MHZ
GTX 1070FE
ASUS B85M-G

I optimize bios and windows to have max performance and power draw.

When playing intensive game on ultra, the cpu is at full load most of the time, around 90% usage but the power draw is only 50watt?? On Prime95 it reaches 84watt.

Why doesnt it draw that much while playing, ia this causing my FPS drops?

Solution
P95 will max out all cores/threads, resulting in high power. Depending on what version of P95 you're running, it may also use AVX instructions, which further results in high power draw.

While gaming you're probably only maxing out 1 or 2 cores due to the way the game is coded (other cores may be used, but probably not to max capacity) and likely won't be using any AVX instructions, so power draw will be lower.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
P95 will max out all cores/threads, resulting in high power. Depending on what version of P95 you're running, it may also use AVX instructions, which further results in high power draw.

While gaming you're probably only maxing out 1 or 2 cores due to the way the game is coded (other cores may be used, but probably not to max capacity) and likely won't be using any AVX instructions, so power draw will be lower.

Solution

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Power Consumption and TDP is discussed throughout that "article", however, see Section 11 - Thermal Test Basics. Pay particular attention to the second illustration.

Gaming is not a valid means by which to gauge power consumption, or temperature, for that matter. A steady-state 100% TDP workload is instead required.

As the OP makes no mention of core temperature or ambient temperature, the processor absolutely can reach 100°C throttle temperature at 84 Watts if, for example, the stock cooler has a loose push-pin, or an aftermarket cooler is improperly mounted. Throttling often accounts for frame stuttering.

Coincidentally, 84 Watts just happens to be the exact TDP rating of the i7 4790 at stock configuration. This is where the question of which Prime95 version and torture test is most relevant.

CT :sol:

larrycumming

Prominent
Aug 15, 2018
Well, tdp power output is dependent on cpu/pwm communicating thru svid for specific frequency ranges. it's primary factors are temperature and current. we know temperature is controllable thru the selection of cpu cooler and current is partly configurable thru bios/uefi (asus boards seem to have more configuration selections in my experience).

but the svid/vrm also take into consideration power states (cpu load) which is up to the vrm to maximize power efficiency so this may vary from vendor to vendor because of difference in vrm technology.

At 1080p resolution that GPU isn't going to hit full load for quite some time. Maybe very new triple A titles like far cry 5 might be able to push the 1070 to full load at 1080p, but I have a 1070 (non TI variant) and my gpu rarely hits 100% load. This is because the 1070 is borderline a 1080p 144hz card or a 60-80fps 1440p card (1080p resolution can't push the 1070 like 1440p can), for most games out there. What game are you experiencing frame drops? Do you have vsync enabled? What case do you have and how are your thermals? You still have lots of details to provide us. With exception to CompuTronix, we are not mind readers :p