Question Cpu not functioning properly

idk159

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
Just today my laptop turned incredibly slow randomly for no reason.No temperature issues,no power issues,no application requiring a lot of resources.I check my task manager and my cpu is running at 100%,which is kinda odd as i wasn't running anything intensive for my laptop like any games.But then i checked my processor speed and it was running at around 1.79 GHz when usually it'll run around 2.70 GHz at max usage.

I've tried everything to fix this and searched online.I've restarted my computer,used a restore point from a couple of days ago,yes my power plan is high performance and set to max 100%,my temps seem decent and yes my fans in power plan are set to active.Please help!

idk159

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
My cpu is a Intel(R) Core (TM) i5 CPU M540 @ 2.53GHz

and the only apps i was running was discord,firefox and steam(but not playing any games).
Firefox was taking the most resources at the time

idk159

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
Forgot to add that it happened regularly today but on and off with about a 2hr gap between each occurrence.The occurrence lasts about 6mins freezing/getting slow,then after my cpu returns to normal and my cpu runs around 2.60 at 100% usage.

idk159

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
Malware scan is the one thing i haven't done yet i'll get to it and at the time firefox was using the most of my cpu.
My cpu usage being 100% isn't my only problem though it's that at 100% it should be working around 2.50 GHz but only works around 1.7GHz

idk159

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
If it's a virus none of my anti virus software's are working and if it's just my cpu being old why does the problem only occur regularly for a few minutes even though my temps,battery is fine.

It's weird when it spikes to 100% usage it stays there for a good 5mins freezing/slowing down my laptop and my usual 2.7 clock speed goes to 1.7.Then eventually it returns to normal and my clock speed becomes fast again.

When the problem occurs one of my apps starts to use a lot of my cpu at random sometimes it will be discord, sometimes it'll be firefox.(This is when both are simultaneously open).Which is why i'm kinda leaning to the idea that it might be a virus.

Last edited: