[SOLVED] Cpu not recognized

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SetoKaiba2

Honorable
May 3, 2016
Hi, I have encountered something very weird..
I have an old core2duo pc connected to my tv for entertainment purposes.
The weird thing is, I got a Q9550 core2quad cpu to replace the E5800 that was in the pc.
Everything works but the pc thinks the E5800 is still in there. Task manager, device manager & speccy tells me I have a E5800 installed.
I tried updating the drivers via device manager and intel driver & support assistant but it tells me I have the latest drivers.
It is only in the bios that it recognizes the Q9550. Any ideas?

Solution
so when you put back the windows 10 HDD it now shows the proper processor? so maybe it was simply a driver issue all along or windows just wasn't releasing the CPU drivers from old one to replace with new ones.. so maybe when you put the hard drive back in it forced windows to recheck everything threw bios etc... Im no PC scientist or nothing but that seems logical I suppose.. I mean for windows lol..

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
so when you put back the windows 10 HDD it now shows the proper processor? so maybe it was simply a driver issue all along or windows just wasn't releasing the CPU drivers from old one to replace with new ones.. so maybe when you put the hard drive back in it forced windows to recheck everything threw bios etc... Im no PC scientist or nothing but that seems logical I suppose.. I mean for windows lol..

Reactions: SetoKaiba2
Solution

SetoKaiba2

Honorable
May 3, 2016
No even after putting the win10 hdd back there was no change. I went back to bios to check if I missed something but couldn't see anything. Decided whatever, let me overclock it a bit, then suddenly win10 showed the Q9550 quad-core.
I'm just happy it works now & there is a BIG difference when running multiple programs.

Reactions: Gfost73

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
sounds liek what windows would do.. lol. I have been amazed on how weird Windows has been for decades, no lie, true story, I once had a Dell machine, windows XP, every-time i formatted the machine the network drivers and video would never install from XP so i would have these drivers on a separate disk for after windows install, was like his for years with that machine, then suddenly one day formatting same machine with same XP disk, same hardware, XP installed the drivers IT NEVER HAD.. but couldn't find 3 other things which now I was at a loss to find out what they were.. lol.. so ya.. what windows does , short of working proper, never surprises me.. LOL

TRENDING THREADS