[SOLVED] Cpu not recognized

SetoKaiba2

Honorable
May 3, 2016
Hi, I have encountered something very weird..
I have an old core2duo pc connected to my tv for entertainment purposes.
The weird thing is, I got a Q9550 core2quad cpu to replace the E5800 that was in the pc.
Everything works but the pc thinks the E5800 is still in there. Task manager, device manager & speccy tells me I have a E5800 installed.
I tried updating the drivers via device manager and intel driver & support assistant but it tells me I have the latest drivers.
It is only in the bios that it recognizes the Q9550. Any ideas?

Solution
so when you put back the windows 10 HDD it now shows the proper processor? so maybe it was simply a driver issue all along or windows just wasn't releasing the CPU drivers from old one to replace with new ones.. so maybe when you put the hard drive back in it forced windows to recheck everything threw bios etc... Im no PC scientist or nothing but that seems logical I suppose.. I mean for windows lol..

Remeca

Reputable
Some motherboards may require a bios update before recognizing newer CPU's on that platform. We don't know what mobo you're using, but check your bios version and see if theres an update. If there are more than 1,do them incrementally.

SetoKaiba2

Honorable
May 3, 2016
Some motherboards may require a bios update before recognizing newer CPU's on that platform. We don't know what mobo you're using, but check your bios version and see if theres an update. If there are more than 1,do them incrementally.
Sorry motherboard is a gigabyte ga-g41mt-s2.
But the bios recognized the cpu as a Q9550 it is in windows that is still shows the previous cpu.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a fake. Cpus like the one you have are the reason Intel stopped OC capable production and locked all the cpus for a while. Ppl were taking cheap versions and swapping the IHS, reselling as new and expensive cpus or a total rebadge with actual serial numbering. It's more recently been done with low end 400 series nvidia gpus, get a cracked vbios stating a 750ti instead.

Remeca

Reputable
If the bios version doesn't support hyperthreading, or if ht is turned off, that could do it. Make sure its set to on in your bios. If it isnt there or isnt editable, you probably need to update your bios. The counterfeit theory is interesting though.

SetoKaiba2

Honorable
May 3, 2016
I AM TYPING IN BOLD SO THIS COMMENT IS DEFINITELY SEEN. I SAID IT ONCE AND WILL SAY IT AGAIN. WINDOWS 10 IS STUPID!!
I PLUGGED BACK MY OLD DAMAGED HDD WITH WINDOWS 7 & BOOM!! AUTO DRIVER INSTALL Q9550 RECOGNIZED ALL MENTIONED PROGRAMS SHOWS Q9550 RUNNING 4CORES 4THREADS.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I kinda figured the fact the windows 10 wasn't fresh installed may of had something to do with issue.. windows 10 is kind of messed up that way .. be interesting to know if a fresh install from scratch indeed fixes the issue.. as most will always say ALWAYS do a fresh install when changing hardware such as CPU and Motherboards.

Reactions: SetoKaiba2

SetoKaiba2

Honorable
May 3, 2016
Ok this is... umm? I don't know.
I overclocked the cpu by 100mhz
Opened cpu-z to stress the cpu & check temps, & what do I find? Q9550 recognized by cpu-z & HWmonitor. Checked all other hardware identification software, they all report Q9550 quadcore. So yea... I guess I learned something.