[SOLVED] CPU not running at set clock speed

Jun 8, 2020
I've had my CPU clock speed set to 4 GHz for almost a year, but recently after updating the BIOS, it slowed down to 3.4 GHz. No matter what I set the clock speed to, it always stays at 3.4 GHz. Ive tried setting it down to 3.9 GHz, then Auto, then 3.2 GHz and it didn't change for any of them.

Solution
Hey there,

So, normally after a bios update you need to clear CMOS too. This will completely wipe the previous bios. Typically to clear CMOS, you turn the PC off. Remove battery, switch a jumper for 30 seconds, switch the jumper back, re-insert the battery, and boot up. The exact way will be found in your motherboard manual. It differs slightly for each manufaturer, but it's mostly the same process.

Hopefully when you boot, you'll be able to set the CPU speed and it saves. If not, you might consider a battery replacement, because it could be the battery is dead and the bios won't remember the settings you've inputted after reboot.
Hey there,

So, normally after a bios update you need to clear CMOS too. This will completely wipe the previous bios. Typically to clear CMOS, you turn the PC off. Remove battery, switch a jumper for 30 seconds, switch the jumper back, re-insert the battery, and boot up. The exact way will be found in your motherboard manual. It differs slightly for each manufaturer, but it's mostly the same process.

Hopefully when you boot, you'll be able to set the CPU speed and it saves. If not, you might consider a battery replacement, because it could be the battery is dead and the bios won't remember the settings you've inputted after reboot.

Solution
Jun 17, 2020
Watch the, now edited, "colorful" language, please. Thank you.
Hello. I am having a similar issue. I have an i7-9700f @ 3.0 Ghz but it is stuck at 2.79 Ghz. I've checked power plan settings, updated BIOS, reset CMOS, Updated all drivers(several times), everything i can <<Edited by moderator>> think of. Turned intel boost off and back on, changed the power plan of the BIOS itself. Turned XMP on(it was off). This is all new hardware as well. Less than a month old. It works "okay" but for the specs i have it should be performing much better than it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello. I am having a similar issue. I have an i7-9700f @ 3.0 Ghz but it is stuck at 2.79 Ghz. I've checked power plan settings, updated BIOS, reset CMOS, Updated all drivers(several times), everything i can <Mod Edit> think of. Turned intel boost off and back on, changed the power plan of the BIOS itself. Turned XMP on(it was off). This is all new hardware as well. Less than a month old. It works "okay" but for the specs i have it should be performing much better than it is.
It's always better to start your own post instead of adding to a old post. What are your temps running. But again start a separate post!
Depending on what your reading the speed with 2.79 could be normal when the processor is idle.

Download OCCT then just click the green on button and see if it clocks up under stress. it will show your temp and the clock speed in it's graph.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS