DarkRaiden112

Prominent
Oct 1, 2020
specs:
i7 4790
rx 570 4gb
gigabyte h81m s2h
antec 450watt
i recently switched from a lenovo h81m board to a gigabyte one. when i had the lenovo board on full 100 percent usage my cpu used around 60-70 watts but now that i have this new gigabyte board it does not exceed 30 watts. i havent noticed a huge performance drop off but it does not make sense for the processor to use less than half the power it used to use before and still perform the same so im worried that im losing performance. is there any specific setting in the bios i need to change for it to use the full power?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
How are you measuring it? Try updating that software.

Stock voltages can differ between boards. Gigabyte might just be using less voltage to do the same job, though I agree half the power is a little much.

Run something like Cinebench R15 and compare your i7-4790 score to the scores of i7-4770k/4770/4790/4771

Hello there, So, recently i've been having this weird and extremely annoying problem. In light tasks my PC is great, but as soon as I power on any game of any decent graphic, am not playing latest titles, just some NBA 2K14, yes, 14, and GTA 5 with ocasional Tropico 6 as well. But my game is having FPS drops of huge amount for about 10 seconds every minute or so. Now i understand that is due to CPU overheating but my temperature apps are showing maxes of 255. I am a technical person myself and i know 255 is some weird showing of temp using max bit number, so obviously sensors are bad. But bad sensors aren't that uncommon, but the other piece of data software like HWinfo is telling me is that my 95 TDP FX 6300 is at max getting 50W while being utilized 100% even in game like 2k14 where my 8gb ram and r9 270x is getting used less than 50.

And how exactly does this help the OP? I'd suggest making your own thread instead of hijacking someone else's, rather poor form.

To the OP, what cooling do you have on the 4790 and when you changed it over, are you 100% sure you got a good mounting and applied enough new thermal paste?

Also, resetting your BIOS to defaults is a good place to start troubleshooting.

DarkRaiden112

Prominent
Oct 1, 2020
And how exactly does this help the OP? I'd suggest making your own thread instead of hijacking someone else's, rather poor form.

To the OP, what cooling do you have on the 4790 and when you changed it over, are you 100% sure you got a good mounting and applied enough new thermal paste?

Also, resetting your BIOS to defaults is a good place to start troubleshooting.
it turns out the board is faulty, the temperatures were fine but i started getting random freezes and then black screens in windows which only got fixed after i restarted the pc. i updated, reset the bios and tried every setting and nothing changed. Im getting a replacement now so hopefully this new one works and also i could hear static and weird buzzing noises in my audio whenever i did something cpu intensive. for example if i loaded up a youtube video and then open up a game the audio would start buzzing.

it turns out the board is faulty, the temperatures were fine but i started getting random freezes and then black screens in windows which only got fixed after i restarted the pc. i updated, reset the bios and tried every setting and nothing changed. Im getting a replacement now so hopefully this new one works and also i could hear static and weird buzzing noises in my audio whenever i did something cpu intensive. for example if i loaded up a youtube video and then open up a game the audio would start buzzing.

Ah right. Well at least you know what it is now and you're getting a replacement board too, that one should be fine and the good thing is, you'll know instantly if it is.