Question CPU not working at it's full potential ?

May 1, 2023
hello there

I have:
Gigabyte B660M mobo
i5-13400f
6800 XT
16GB RAM (single stick)
Seasonic Focus 750w 80+ Gold

while gaming the cpu clocks at 4ghz all time and is not turbo boosting to 4.6 .. i have the intel stock cooler on wich gives 70′ish degrees gaming on 1080 display (6800xt is an overkill) which should put the cpu under its full potential ?

games i have tested (1080p with 6800xt)

• god of war ultra cpu reached 87 degrees and fps droped below 54 at some sections
  • spiderman remastered rt on very high about 50ish fps
  • RDR2 ultra 70–80 fps
  • (the good news ) cinebench r23 shows around 1750 single core and 15500 on multi (thermal throuttled after 1 min 🥲) these numbers are similar with online results
  • timespy shows about 9000 cpu score compared to the online wich is 13000 (bad)
youtube refrence videos shows that a typical sys to mine should not run like that in these games

gpu utilisation never exeeded 80% so the one to blame here is the cpu which begs the question why is it not reaching 4.6, or are there other factors in my sys that shows this performance ?

I suspect, but I'm not sure, that it may be a result of using single channel RAM. The way channels work is that they make the bus appear to be wider, i.e. 2 channels read and write 128 bits at a time rather than 64. Keep in mind that the RAM controller is n the CPU now. So using 2X8 GB RAM may work nearer your expectations.

There is a lot more than the number of channels of RAM that goes into the speed of your system but this may be a factor.

Reactions: str_iker
May 1, 2023
dual channel and aftermarket cooler (20 degrees lower on stress test lol) have solved the problem thanks for the advice