CPU on and off repeatedly every after 2-3 seconds.

rdccalonge

Commendable
Feb 4, 2019
I just recently cleaned my CPU with steps as follow:

• Using Air compressor to remove dust

• Removed the Fans and disconnect their wires, and slightly brush

• Removed CPU & CPU Fan, Replaced thermal paste

• Removed (2)Rams and Slightly Brush the Sockets

• Video Card
I replaced the thermal paste and reconnect everything in and now I've have a boot loop.. All fans are working when turned ON, although the motherboard turns on and off and motherboard LED lights (red) does not light up only the light power source.

What I troubleshoot so far..
- Removed Video Card
- Removed everything from connectors behind CPU (mouse,keyboard,etc.)
- Remove CMOS Battery and putting it back
- Reseat 1 Ram
- Remove HDD
- Replaced Thermal Paste

This already happened the last time I cleaned the CPU also.. I'm not sure already what I've done to fix it..

MOBO: GA-H97-Gaming 3

Heres a picture of my mobo let me know if there are missing
http://
http://

My first thought is that you knocked something loose, but it sounds like you have already disconnected and reconnected most everything. You may have created a short somewhere, possibly under the motherboard. Another possibility is an issue/short inside the power supply ... I have seen this behavior before when a PSU was acting up. Last, and least likely, is the CPU shifted in the socket ... this seems unlikely because it sounds like you never removed the CPU.

rdccalonge

Commendable
Feb 4, 2019
Hi Drew, Thanks for the prompt response.

I actually removed the processor and heatsink as well. Also would not properly putting the thermal paste or heat sink can cause this? They say this can cause overheating but should it be 2-3 seconds on and off constantly?

Heat issues usually take more than 3 seconds to materialize. If the heatsink is on tight enough that it does not move around, then you should be able to go a minute or so before a thermal shutdown ... even if you used not thermal paste.

Now, if you were sloppy with the thermal paste and some got on the CPU pins that could cause this ... then again, that seems unlikely.

rdccalonge

Commendable
Feb 4, 2019
This noted so its not the heatsink.. I edited my main post and attached picture of my mobo

What should be my next step should I buy a new CMOS battery?
Is it okay that I remove my HDD it still would run right?

The CMOS battery is only used when there is no power (PSU unplugged or switched off), so that is unlikely. Even with a dead CMOS battery the system should go to BIOS (with default values).

Power issues are my guess. Got a spare PSU you can get your hands on? Store nearby with a generous return policy?

Looking at the picture I see at least half a dozen bent pins. It's not going to be the easiest job, but I think it'd be possible to bend them back. If you mess up, then you will need to buy a new motherboard. I would use a magnifying glass on a stand and a pair of eyebrow tweezers.