[SOLVED] CPU One pin broke off - works fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_231

Reputable
Jun 19, 2017
Ryzen 5 2600X

Hi, I'm in the process of upgrading parts.
This CPU was removed from the motherboard a couple times
when I was moving from MID tower to ITX in the past.

ANYWAY, when I was removing the CPU from the socket today,
I saw one specific pin that was just noticeably bent - to the point where I couldn't
ignore. While trying to. bend it back, the pin did broke off.

I wanted to see if I could salvage it and put it back into the socket - and re-built the
system to test it out. AND, it started and worked without any issue.

Now, I've really only "Tested" for like 30 minutes. I haven't put it under any stress test
or benchmark or anything like that.

My question is then - will there likely be an issue with this cpu with one broken corner pin?
If I want to test it out under stress to see if it can handle it- how would I do that (not really an expert here)?
Are there specific numbers that I need to look out for when I'm doing these tests or just monitoring
the use?

thanks!

Solution
Ryzen 5 2600X
My question is then - will there likely be an issue with this cpu with one broken corner pin?
As already mentioned it could be something that's not used so often (like a USB port) or even more likely to be one of the many redundant ground pins or power pins.

If one of the power pins broke it might make your processor less stable when being used heavily and drawing heavy current. But most likely not since the power pin count is the same for even bigger, higher current draw processors like 2700X or even 5950X's.
There will be something that is borked, it could be USB capabilities, it could be sound etc
For sure something :)

That being said, go ahead and stress test it all you like, won't do any harm

you will discover eventually what is borked, luckely for you it doesn't seem anything major

Ryzen 5 2600X
As already mentioned it could be something that's not used so often (like a USB port) or even more likely to be one of the many redundant ground pins or power pins.

If one of the power pins broke it might make your processor less stable when being used heavily and drawing heavy current. But most likely not since the power pin count is the same for even bigger, higher current draw processors like 2700X or even 5950X's.

Last edited:
Solution
Ryzen 5 2600X

Hi, I'm in the process of upgrading parts.
This CPU was removed from the motherboard a couple times
when I was moving from MID tower to ITX in the past.

ANYWAY, when I was removing the CPU from the socket today,
I saw one specific pin that was just noticeably bent - to the point where I couldn't
ignore. While trying to. bend it back, the pin did broke off.

I wanted to see if I could salvage it and put it back into the socket - and re-built the
system to test it out. AND, it started and worked without any issue.

Now, I've really only "Tested" for like 30 minutes. I haven't put it under any stress test
or benchmark or anything like that.

If I want to test it out under stress to see if it can handle it- how would I do that (not really an expert here)?
Are there specific numbers that I need to look out for when I'm doing these tests or just monitoring
the use?

thanks!
Run this and see if something comes up broke.
PC Benchmark

If everything passes then run your normal stuff and monitor.

The good thing about a broken pin is that if you can get it to seat in the socket and make contact with the cpu, more than likely you'll still have a completed circuit. Tough to do, but possible. Otherwise, something will be borked and a stress test will reveal it. If you have no issues even after a stress test, you got lucky I would highly recommend you never remove that cpu from the socket again as it's delicately set up and working just as is.

If it boots and and all your the memory channels work and PCI-E slots work, I wouldn't even worry about it, it was probably just a spare ground pin that isn't really needed for anything, the USB's are not controlled by the CPU, nor is the ethernet, so would imagine that will work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS