CPU or GPU Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuegoman1

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Hi, I am having huge issues running Ark: Survival Evolved and am trying to figure out if my CPU or the GPU is the holdup. If I lower the graphics quality, I can get the game to run, but it sucks because it literally makes the game look like something from the early 2000's. I'm assuming this is probably a GPU issue, right?

I'm running a GeForce 820m graphics card with a i5 5200u quad core processor. I have 8GB of ram installed and a WDC 1 TB Hard Drive (not solid state).

I also want to play NBA2k16 when it comes out, GTA5, and any of the newer Assassin's Creed games. Maybe Bioshock Infinity also, but for sure the other games.

Solution
Almost certainly your GPU is the problem. The 820m is a low end adapter. While the mobile versions of the i5 are nowhere near as powerful as the desktop versions, it should be sufficient to run most games at the appropriate settings. Laptops aren't really meant for high end gaming. Most, even with powerful mobile adapters are meant for medium to medium/high-ish gaming under the best of circumstances. Upgrading the GPU if it's upgradeable is the only real option.

I'd look for at least an 850m or higher. An 860 or higher would be better but you also need to consider whether your laptop has sufficient cooling to handle a higher TDP card.
Almost certainly your GPU is the problem. The 820m is a low end adapter. While the mobile versions of the i5 are nowhere near as powerful as the desktop versions, it should be sufficient to run most games at the appropriate settings. Laptops aren't really meant for high end gaming. Most, even with powerful mobile adapters are meant for medium to medium/high-ish gaming under the best of circumstances. Upgrading the GPU if it's upgradeable is the only real option.

I'd look for at least an 850m or higher. An 860 or higher would be better but you also need to consider whether your laptop has sufficient cooling to handle a higher TDP card.

Solution

fuegoman1

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015

So I'm sitting on a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series. It gets pretty hot on the bottom of the computer and definitely wishing I would have gone with Lenovo or a different model. If I'm having heat issues, would swapping out the hard drive with an SSD reduce the heat problem to where I could upgrade the GPU?

Also, I had the thought about an external GPU and was trying to research it. It seemed like all you really need is an external adapter, dedicated power supply, and then whatever GPU you want installed. Any knowledge or advice about this?

1. Both your CPU and GPU are not ideal for high-end gaming, but the GPU is the more limiting factor here.

2. Some laptops allow for swapping the components out, but as velo3100 said, that's a luxury most commonly found on high-end laptops. Your system's video chip is likely surface mounted to the motherboard, meaning no upgrade would be possible.

3. An SSD would run a bit cooler (and faster), but the heat is most likely coming from your CPU and GPU as you stress them running a game. RAM also generates heat.

If you want to game at anything near a high level of performance, on a laptop, you need a model with a discreet GPU and dual fan configuration. Even then, laptops with high end cards tend to run hot and have heat related problems. And by dual fan, I don't mean a laptop cooler that it sits on, I mean a unit with fans for both the CPU and GPU. Otherwise, you need a desktop or mini-ITX unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.