[SOLVED] CPU or GPU upgrade?

SAM_189

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
I badly want to upgrade my system but I can only upgrade either the gpu or the cpu and not both. I do edit videos/photos occasionally and also play a lot of games.

Current system:
Intel core i7-3770(non k)
8gb of ddr3 1333mhz ram
Gtx 1060 3gb
Cheap mini itx motherboard

Preferred upgrade:

Ryzen 7 3700x
16gb of ddr4 3200mhz ram
Asus rog strix x470-f mb

Or

Sapphire 5700xt nitro+

I am put off at the fact that x470 mbs need a bios update for the new ryzen 3000 chips to work and the mb I like doesnt have bios flashback. So I thought maybe wait for b550 mbs and then upgrade the cpu and upgrade the gpu now.

This might be a dumb reason to like a motherboard but I really want aura sync and that's the only asus motherboard that checks all the boxes.

What do you guys think?

Solution
It definitely looks like you choose games vs work.
Games will gain more from GPU and that CPU will hold, BUT work will benefit more from new platform/ram/threads ...
I would go with Ryzen upgrade as that would be more noticeable all over the place, with m2 storage available and other stuff it gives you a lot more options to play with.

SAM_189

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
The cpu option definitely looks more attractive.

Well, if you have to have Aura Sync... is there something wrong with Msi's Mystic Light?
All of Msi's B450 boards come with bios flashback needed for Ryzen 3000 out of the box, and would be more affordable than that X470.
Thx for the reply. I was considering buying an msi board but mystic light is not as good as aura sync so I decided not to. But if I don't have a choice then mystic light isn't a huge deal breaker

Sep 13, 2019
The i7 3770 system are still a capable system and I kept my i5 3570 system as a solid stand by (I'm using my new build, the Ryzen 5 2600 system). When it comes to editing videos you'd want speed and power and you'll get it from the Ryzen system you're looking at.

So I'd say go for it.

need4speeds

Distinguished
There are some new drivers out. (Likely you already tried that)
It also shows a big list of cards.
This one shows some cpu comparisons.
Another benchmark test..
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/borderlands-3-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/4.html

Installing MSI afterburner and making a more aggressive fan profile and some overclocking should also help. I have my fan set to stay off until 50C. Then 25% fan to 57C, 46% fan till 62C, 67% fan till 67C, Max fan at 76C and the line slants to it so it's variable after 67C. Power limit at 106%, Core Clock +84mhz, Memory +687mhz. (It's a factory OC card with the faster samsung memory.) (This is just a example, you will have to do a search into the clocks and stuff your card normally can overclock to, ect.)

More clock speed usually helps.

Try the fan in Manual first so you can hear how loud it is so you know the fan speed % to use for certain temp points. You will have to test it with a game like Borderlands 3, Furmark, ect.

I would go with the cheaper RX5700. For $329 it's the best deal and a closer match for your cpu.
Sell the GTX1060.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&c=446,425,447,445,405,437

need4speeds

Distinguished
It's possible to buy a stand along RGB controller.
https://www.amazon.com/RGB-Controller/s?k=RGB-Controller

I seen guys with remotes and blinged out 4x4 trucks with RGB headlights, even the Ford oval, Chevy Bowtie or Dodge Ram emblem. Are you sure you want RGB? LOL.. They look like a rolling disco. It's kinda a Austin Powers theme. "Check out my new RGB Shag Carpeting.. Hey Groovay!" :)

Last edited:
Games will gain more from GPU and that CPU will hold, BUT work will benefit more from new platform/ram/threads ...
I would go with Ryzen upgrade as that would be more noticeable all over the place, with m2 storage available and other stuff it gives you a lot more options to play with.

Solution
It all depends on the system requirements of said game and hardware utilization. Install MSI afterburner and configure the onscreen display for gpu and cpu load. Run BL3 and if the GPU is constantly pegged at 100% load, upgrade the GPU. If the GPU isn't hitting full load (which it should) and the CPU is hitting full load, upgrade the CPU/Motherboard/Memory platform.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It all depends on the system requirements of said game and hardware utilization. Install MSI afterburner and configure the onscreen display for gpu and cpu load. Run BL3 and if the GPU is constantly pegged at 100% load, upgrade the GPU. If the GPU isn't hitting full load (which it should) and the CPU is hitting full load, upgrade the CPU/Motherboard/Memory platform.
Should also mention, that unlike gpu, a cpu can hit full load without using all it's cores/threads. If the primary threads are at 100%, then the cpu isn't going to do any better, even though it has extra resources.
So it's important to check usage of all cores.

Reactions: SgtScream

SAM_189

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
Yeah after some consideration i've decided to go with the cpu upgrade since any gpu I buy would be bottlenecked by my i7-3770. Thanks