Sep 19, 2019
PS: NEWBIE HERE

I'm planning to upgrade and I'm stuck if which should I upgrade first. I like to play games like GTA 5 Online, NBA 2K's, PUBG

Should I go for CPU upgrades? or go for GPU? Please recommend if so. THANKS A LOT!

Newbie Specs:
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
GTX 1050Ti
B450M DS3H- Mobo

Solution
i'm only stuck with the CPU or GPU. is AMD 5 3600 worth it?

I have a micro server with the AMD 5 3600, and it seems like a solid cpu so far. That being said, my gaming PC has a 3900x. So I don't game with the 3600. It's still more than enough for a solid gaming experience.

CPU's vs GPU's impact on gaming will drop off dramatically after 1080p resolutions. So for 4k, it is much more important to get a powerful GPU.

Based on your current CPU, it seems as if CPU is the most pressing bottleneck here. That CPU is basically an average laptop CPU. I'd upgrade to a 3600x, or something even better if your budget allows.

Your GPU on the other hand is pretty solid. That card can handle some solid 1080p gaming. With an upgraded CPU...
What’s more important to you, higher FPS or higher game settings?

If you don’t mind sacrificing game settings then a cpu upgrade will allow better FPS. A gpu upgrade may not bring any/minimal FPS increase if you are already cpu limited but will let you run higher game settings.

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
i'm only stuck with the CPU or GPU. is AMD 5 3600 worth it?

I have a micro server with the AMD 5 3600, and it seems like a solid cpu so far. That being said, my gaming PC has a 3900x. So I don't game with the 3600. It's still more than enough for a solid gaming experience.

CPU's vs GPU's impact on gaming will drop off dramatically after 1080p resolutions. So for 4k, it is much more important to get a powerful GPU.

Based on your current CPU, it seems as if CPU is the most pressing bottleneck here. That CPU is basically an average laptop CPU. I'd upgrade to a 3600x, or something even better if your budget allows.

Your GPU on the other hand is pretty solid. That card can handle some solid 1080p gaming. With an upgraded CPU, you should see a much better increase in 1080p or less gaming. Make sure you update your B450 BIOS to the newest possible version before you get a Ryzen 3XXX generation CPU, or else the motherboard will not POST after replacing the new CPU.

Solution
Sep 19, 2019

Your GPU on the other hand is pretty solid. That card can handle some solid 1080p gaming. With an upgraded CPU, you should see a much better increase in 1080p or less gaming. Make sure you update your B450 BIOS to the newest possible version before you get a Ryzen 3XXX generation CPU, or else the motherboard will not POST after replacing the new CPU.
I thank you for your opinion. I'd go for CPU then.