[SOLVED] CPU OR GPU UPGRADE

Apr 16, 2020
I Have a 3800x with a 5600xt 16GB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX RAM

So i don't know whether i should get a 5800x or a 3070 . I have the budget for it. I mainly game, stream and Video Edit using after Effects

Solution
3800x is still a very solid CPU.

This PC is probably already closer to being CPU bottlenecked. Meaning the CPU is held back by the GPU. (which is a good thing as it means you're getting the most out of the GPU)

By upgrading your GPU you could double your frames in some games as the 5600xt is a little on the lower end these days. Whereas upgrading your CPU would only give you a few more frames in most cases as it would still be held back by the GPU.

All in all, if you can find one, the 3070 is a good choice for an upgrade.

SM/Madao

Great
Jul 2, 2020
I will say GPU. Despite they just came into market recently which will mean some possible incompatibility with a board or game, the GPU are less likely to face a major incompatibility.

TweediestDig

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
3800x is still a very solid CPU.

This PC is probably already closer to being CPU bottlenecked. Meaning the CPU is held back by the GPU. (which is a good thing as it means you're getting the most out of the GPU)

By upgrading your GPU you could double your frames in some games as the 5600xt is a little on the lower end these days. Whereas upgrading your CPU would only give you a few more frames in most cases as it would still be held back by the GPU.

All in all, if you can find one, the 3070 is a good choice for an upgrade.

Solution
I Have a 3800x with a 5600xt 16GB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX RAM

So i don't know whether i should get a 5800x or a 3070 . I have the budget for it. I mainly game, stream and Video Edit using after Effects
What is your motherboard? that will make it easier as 400 series boards won't get BIOS' until early 2021.

But your 3800X is an incredible CPU still and will not bottleneck any GPU in the world. So by all means go with a new GPU first.

If you really needed a CPU upgrade to help your video editing I'd say a 5900X would be better and benefit you more than the 5800X, which is having a tough time justifying itself.

Easiest would be to check the load on CPU & GPU during your typical workload (gaming, rendering, streaming, etc) without any limiter like vsync.
If your GPU sits near full load most of the time, it is your limiting factor. If it doesn't it's more likely the CPU (which can indeed be limiting by 1 core. With 16 threads thats 1/16=0.0625 or about 6-7% load worst case)