Question CPU or MB faulty does not allow me to use 4 RAM sticks !

|Onka|

Prominent
Nov 17, 2019
Hello.

I have had an issue with my computer for quite some time ago, actually occurred last spring when i was changing fluids on my pc. So back then I changed my fluids, the loop and added an T block so I could change faster next time. So I basically tore off my CPU, GPU, and RAM sticks and reinstalled them. After that my pc wouldnt boot and would be stuck on POST.

I realized that my RAM sticks caused it. I would get error codes 01, 03 and 55 on my asus motherboard. So I looked through some internet forums with people having same type of issue and did some troubleshooting. After awhile I figured that my PC would ONLY boot with RAM sticks in slots B1 or B2 or both. I tested with every 4 RAM sticks and every slots and everytime the same results, would only boot with sticks in slots B1 or B2 or both.

So the issue is not my ram sticks. I didnt have and still dont have any clue that where the issue could be. Probaly just faulty hardware ? I tried to reset CMOS, press the little "ramOK!" button on motherboard several times, I tried without GPU plugged in and i tried to unplug everything except SSD with win10, MB, CPU and RAMS. Didnt work. I checked for bent or broken pins under CPU, none. I used air to clear from any dust, nothing. I checked if my 24pin had something wrong but seemed fine. Basically I think that I have done everything possible. Please do tell if theres something more to try tho!

But anyways, today after about 6months later (Ive been using 2RAM sticks till now) I thought that ey, mayyybe it corrected itself and would work now, how dumb I was ofcourse it doesnt work and now I am bothered about it again. Ive been meaning to try one of my friends CPU if the problem is in CPU becourse it has to be either CPU or motherboard right ? But we have not been able to do that since he lives quite far from me and is in army right now. I dont think I can send my MB back to asus since the warranty is over since summer.

So my question is, now that I think I am ready to purchase some new hardware for my PC should I go for new MB or CPU really dont want to purchase both and kind off hoping the problem to be on motherboard.

Thank you for reading! I will list my pc specs below!

MB: Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX
CPU: Intel i7-7700K
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR 4 3466Mhz CL16 (4x 8GB)
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX1080 Strix A OC
PSU: EVGA 750W
2 HDD harddrives
1 SSD 250GB
1 M.2 SSD 250GB

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of the PSU? How old is it? Which BIOS version is your motherbaord on? If you want to migrate to a newer chipset, you're going to need a new processor as well. If you want to buy a new board, it can't be beyond a Z270 chipset, which puts you in the middle of a crossroad.

I'd try and diagnose the issue for good and lay the issue to rest(if it's found)...meaning troubleshooting the system you have at the moment.

|Onka|

Prominent
Nov 17, 2019
Make and model of the PSU? How old is it? Which BIOS version is your motherbaord on? If you want to migrate to a newer chipset, you're going to need a new processor as well. If you want to buy a new board, it can't be beyond a Z270 chipset, which puts you in the middle of a crossroad.

I'd try and diagnose the issue for good and lay the issue to rest(if it's found)...meaning troubleshooting the system you have at the moment.

I have EVGA supernova 750w gold i think its the G1 model but not 100% sure going to check it in a minute.
PSU is actually the oldest component about 4-5years old. other parts are just over 2years old.

BIOS version/date: Amercian Megatrends Inc. 1201, 3/14/2018
SMBIOS version: 3.0
BIOS mode: UEFI

i dont know if those are the numbers you were looking for but thats what it says under system information.