Question CPU or MoBo?

drakrhal

Reputable
Sep 22, 2018
I am planning a new build and looking at the AM5 platform, since it is new and has planned support for the next few years. I was wondering whether to buy a 7600x and a more expensive board, or a 7700x and a cheaper board. There is a $100 difference between the two, so the question is CPU or MOBO getting the extra cash.

My logic is in a few years I will upgrade the CPU, probably on the last generation that supports AM5, so spending more on the motherboard makes sense. I’m not too worried about bottlenecking as I’m running an Alienware Ultrawide 1440p and plan to probably buy a 4080 for my GPU.

Let me know your thoughts, and any suggested motherboards.

Future proofing is futile.
If the future is like the past, in a few years when you want a stronger processor, you will find that the newest gen processors and motherboards will have a compelling price/performance value.
The most common upgrade for now will be to a stronger graphics card.
Pay a bit more now for a suitably strong quality psu to accommodate that gpu upgrade.

For now, for gaming, look into Intel 13th gen processors. They do better for gamers because of the better single thread performance.

Reactions: KyaraM

drakrhal

Reputable
Sep 22, 2018
Future proofing is futile.
If the future is like the past, in a few years when you want a stronger processor, you will find that the newest gen processors and motherboards will have a compelling price/performance value.
The most common upgrade for now will be to a stronger graphics card.
Pay a bit more now for a suitably strong quality psu to accommodate that gpu upgrade.

For now, for gaming, look into Intel 13th gen processors. They do better for gamers because of the better single thread performance.
Not 100% futureproofing, but rather just looking at what to spend on what parts now so that an upgrade in the future makes the most sense. If I can upgrade to a better cpu in 5 years on the same platform, does it make sense to spend on a better motherboard now

I think one should buy what they need for now and allow for planned upgrades.
A two year plan is reasonable.

In the pc world, we have no idea of what we might want in the future, let alone 5 years out. How can we really plan for it?

New products are released every year, and at a better price performance.
(otherwise, why make new products at all?)

drakrhal

Reputable
Sep 22, 2018
I think one should buy what they need for now and allow for planned upgrades.
A two year plan is reasonable.

In the pc world, we have no idea of what we might want in the future, let alone 5 years out. How can we really plan for it?

New products are released every year, and at a better price performance.
(otherwise, why make new products at all?)
So based on that, in general when it comes time to replace the CPU, you would do the motherboard too? But maybe spend more on things like case, psu, ram, etc.

So based on that, in general when it comes time to replace the CPU, you would do the motherboard too? But maybe spend more on things like case, psu, ram, etc.
When a cpu upgrade is indicated, look at the options.
It may be a stronger cpu supported by the current motherboard, or a new cpu and motherboard.
Some will keep old parts forever.
Others want the latest thing. Count me in the latter group. My problem is what to do with the old.

Reactions: KyaraM

drakrhal

Reputable
Sep 22, 2018
I guess I’m more the former. Last pc I built used DDR3
When a cpu upgrade is indicated, look at the options.
It may be a stronger cpu supported by the current motherboard, or a new cpu and motherboard.
Some will keep old parts forever.
Others want the latest thing. Count me in the latter group. My problem is what to do with the old.
i guess I’m more the former. Last pc I built used ddr3