CPU or Motherboard fried?

George1tsn

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
I have made another thread about my Pc mulfanctioning lately. Everyone suggested it was the PSU and I kind of agreed since I had that PSU for about 7-8years, I thought it was about time. Now my new PSU XFX TS 750W has arrived, I installed it and the PC can't post still. I have been banging my had to the wall what the issue is. The system would randomly freeze before or blue screen or wouldn't be able to boot. I started taking out components one by one, extra audio card, graphics card, ram sticks etc to the point I am only connected with: Mobo, CPU, one RAM stick and nothing else and still the PC wouldn't want to post. Then I took off the CPU and found out to my surprise that the Mobo pins for the CPU some of them were bent. The system has been working fine for about a year and a half and has started doing weird things only the last month. Now I don't know how it was working before and it can't work right now but I am quite sure that issue is there. My question is: if I manage to straighten some pins I cannot possibly now if there are back at working conditions so if the system can't post again it will be either Mobo fried or CPU fried or both, can I live without some CPU pins on the motherboard side or they are all vital? Also can this situation have fried my CPU since I was getting weird freeze ups before probably regarding the CPU. And lastly and probably most importantly if I take the CPU and install it on my father's system (his Mobo supports it) if my CPU is broken can it fry his Mobo or only the Mobo can fry a CPU? Please answer the last question only if you know for sure I don't wanna destroy another computer.
The components at stake here are: Asus P8H77-v LE and Intel i7 3440 running default without o/c

Joongi Baek

Honorable
Dec 7, 2014
I would suggest that you should take the mobo to asus support. If you think it is a power supply problem try taking it to the power supply support. I think this is a faulty compoment problem... I dont know what exactly is the solution...

P.S. Is your mobo burned?

George1tsn

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

My PSU is working 100% since it's a new one that arrived yesterday. The motherboard or the cpu is the issue here. Replaying to your ps how can I tell if my mobo is burned?

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
I only once in my entire life burned both CPU and mobo, it was as ages of Slot 1 Celerons and it was my fault since i simply didn't use enough force to place the CPU in the slot and one side was not sitting properly. At those times you literally almost need to hammer the damn CPU in some cases lol.
Anyways while technically (based on electronic experience) both units can destroy each other, i believe for CPU to kill mobo should be way tougher.
We can imagine situation where mobo provides some voltage/current, but due to CPU's internal short circuit it gets overvolt or overcurrent spikes for pins that are expected to be in some range. For example you get 2V on pin that suppose to return signal in range of 0-1V, etc.
CPU itself cannot provide electricity so generally its the only scenario that could possibly destroy the mobo, obviously mobo can even have some kind of protection for such scenario thus the risk can be minimal.

On the other hand you are powering the mobo from the PSU with few different voltages, 12v, 5v, 3.3v etc... but further one of it is limited by stabilizers to meed CPU requirements around of ~1v for CPU, ~1.5V for RAM, etc.
You imagine the situation that one of the stabilizers is broken thus throwing incorrect output voltage over the limits, disaster is imminent. Obviously mobo can have protection for such scenarios as well, but technically there is far more things that could go wrong with mobo then that CPU.

Summarizing, it is theoretically possible for CPU to burn your dad's mobo, but its really really unlikely imo.
If the CPU is already broken by this mobo with bent pins, on the new system it will simply behave unpredictable as it is now.

If I were you, I would simply take whole unit to some service and ask the simple question is mobo broken or both mobo and CPU. If the service is competent enough you will know what to do next. Thats the sensible way to solve it.

If i were me (which I am ;) ) i would simply get new mobo or use any other to check that CPU, but thats recommendation for risk aware people :)

Edit: Btw that mobo might not be burned, neither the CPU, the issues might be only because of that pins. This way or another you either need to RMA the mobo or get a new one. RMA might be hard since they could tell you it was user/mechanical fault so warranty might not cover it.

George1tsn

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

True all that you said. I am guessing its probably the mobo's pins fault not the CPU being broken but that's my guess. Now from searching the internet and my CPU model I found that the pin missing or not making proper contact or whatever it's issue is, is the AJ12 in the map and from the intel 3rd gen CPUs pdf tables I found out that it is a VSS pin so I am guessing I can live without that as long as the rest do their jobs since there are 100+ VSS pins. But still all those are guesses. Anyway in either case if it's a mobo fault they might tell me its my fault it is broken and I won't get an RMA but I found it at lower than 100eur in local shop (btw I live in Greece and prices like everything are bad as fuck especially on electronics) if on the other hand is the CPU fried I am betting I am gonna get an RMA there since I am just gonna present them with a broken CPU they won't have any idea what went on ;) But I'd rather make it wokr by myself and have a working PC :/

George1tsn

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
So guys, I am gonna be taking the Mobo and the CPU to a tech service of a very reputable company to let me know what is broken: the Mobo or the CPU or both and after that I am gonna try to get a RMA. Other than that is there anything else I can do by myself to maybe try and figure out if at least there is something working?

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
I guess you can also to cross the fingers :)
When you will have a verdict about mobo and CPU you will know what to do next.
I really doubt any other parts can be involved with this mess, but you won't find out until you get the PC working again. If after repairing stage you will still have some weird system behavior we gonna start investigation again, but until that simply be patient.
After you get PC working again you can make some further stability tests with Memtest, Prime95, HDD surface scan and looping 3dMark which is very basics any PC store or service would do.

George1tsn

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
So guys, today I took the Mobo and the CPU to be checked. The guy at the service said what's the problem, I replay the system won't post and it is either the CPU or Mobo or both. He said something in terms of: "it's defenitely the Mobo I 've never heard of a fried CPU and a working Mobo", not very professional I would say. Anywaw, I tell him to check both and he takes a quick look at both and he said: "yea it's obviously the Mobo, the pins are broken", at that point I was like :/ no shit dude.... He gives me the Mobo back and said: "you need a new Mobo, I don't need to charge you for that check" and I replied: "can you check the CPU at least and confirm to me that it is working?" he said ok and when I asked when it would be checked he replied probably in a couple of days. So I left and went to a new internet cafe that opened since I don't have my PC to play, it has some crazy stuff like 10000/10000 internet connection, extreme PCs and after two hours or something I got messaged that the item was checked and found with no problems. Well I don't really doubt it takes more than 2 hours to see if an item is working but ok (not stress test just if it's working)....I went and took the CPU back and I don't really believe they even bothered to check it from the look of the box I left them it's exactly as I delivered it. Anyways I am off to buy a new mobo I found some good cases around 80eur but if the CPU is fried too, I am gonna be making a whole lot of mess on the Greek electronics forums about this. Let's just hope they are really good at unboxing and repacking stuff...

George1tsn

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Well I am looking at an Asus P8Z77-V LX it has everything my Asus P8H77-V LE has and by that I mean: socket1155 (obviously), PCI-E 3 slot (for my Asus GTX970 strix), 4xDDR3 slots (I got pretty common Corsair vengeance RAM), and Sata 3 connection for my SSD other than that they seem to be exactly the same even in the pictures on asus.com the only thing I can see different is the name written on the Mobo. Other than that they don't seem to be having any major differences and honestly I don't really care if the job is done :)

Also just some food for thinkers could it be that my old PSU while going to the graveyard took with it the Mobo? When the system started acting weird I didn't pay that much attention to it until it wouldn't boot at all, at that point I started taking stuff out and kept the sytem only with the Mobo, CPU and one RAM stick. I am saying this because it doesn't seem to me that the bent Mobo socket pins were the problem since from what I can tell the system was working fine, and from my research on what those pins represent they both were VSS so... :/

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
I'm not gonna speculate what was the original cause it might be the PSU, it might be the pins it might be even the accidental fly which sit on a mobo :)
This way or another you got also some kind of confirmation from a "reputable service"... just trust them they seem to know what are they saying ;)

Now being serious ..i'm curious is that LX second hand? I hope you are not gonna cause another bad call... just think this way... even if there is slight chance any of parts you have is broken and will take the mobo again... this time RMA will actually be valid... it would be extremely hard to prove them its not. I'm just trying the be triple safe here, while shit obviously happen we wouldn't like it to happen again.

George1tsn

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

No it's not second hand, I found it in a shop in Athens, and still we are being expensive (living in Greece) meaning I found it on ebay around 75$ meaning 70eur so.... Yea I know what you are saying. I mean even if the CPU is fried or not (still not sure) like I said above I would be taking an RMA there since I am gonna be presenting them with just a broken CPU which has no obvious signs of being user fault (ex hammered, smashed, fried in the oven etc) so yea I am not really afraid and I wasn't in the 1st place since what would hurt me the most would be CPU and GPU being fried and not RMAable (that would cost me round 700eur not even wanna think about it).

George1tsn

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
So guys I ended up ordering an Asus P8H77-v LE just like the one I had for 90eur just cause it's probably gonna get delivered by tomorrow the rest shops needed a week or something so I 'll be keeping you up to date when it arrives and if the system works. To be honest thought I might get this really cheap since I have my old graphics card on sale on a greek site (gigabyte GTX580) for about 100eur.

George1tsn

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Hello everyone, I 've got a new update to make. The Mobo just arrived today (the same as the one I had Asus P8H77-v LE) and I am happy to let you know that after putting everything together the system works, it feels so nice typing on my mechanical keyboard again :) Now a few things to note here:
1) The CPU seems ok even thought I didn't run any stress tests on it, will do it tomorrow, but the 1st thing I noticed is that the cores are sitting on 29-35 degrees Celcius where as before they were on 33-39 none of those are big temp numbers but just a little thing I noticed.
2) Even though the Mobo is the same like the one I had before the BIOS looks slightly different meaning it says the same stuff but the letters while booting up are a bit smaller to what I remember. Doesn't make any difference to me but could it be that the same Mobo came with newer version of BIOS flashed already from ASUS?

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
CPU seems to be lower than earlier which is probably because you probably applied new thermal paste?
Of course mobo can be supplied with different BIOS depending of actual production batch as with the temps nothing here required for further analysis.

I'm glad you finally got it up and running again.

George1tsn

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

No I put in there the same paste the cooler had (coolermaster hyper 212 evo), it's a coolermaster paste, seems to be ok never had a problem with that. I am also happy to tell you that for the last 3 days the system is functioning I had 0 crashes/freezes.

llobell86

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Great topic. Im in Spain waiting for the same shit. Some of my pins from an Asus Z97 K (112euro payed 7months ago) got bent. Those pins touched bending back the ones just behind them, so the fried CPU theory takes value And makes sense. Even though I've had many attemps of turning the system on again, after rebend back the pins to the original position, didn't worked. So now I'm kinda waiting for a positive answer from my seller. I just can't ruin my pocket buying a new mobo. I wish I can keep the mobo and have the CPU Intel 3 4160 fried for 2 pins touching the same poin, cause for RMA is easier to get a replacement or money back if the CPU doesnt work. I cross the fingers to don't reall have to buy new mobo-cpu combo...that just can't happen

llobell86

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Finally my seller told me the socket was damaged by me, then no way to repair it cause is more than a few pins (might be between 6/8) and there's no repairing department. I'm gonna ask Asus but this seems pretty fuck up...now I'm wondering why didn't bought an Amd socket. This is 120euro to the garbage...I'm devasted