Question CPU or motherboard issue ?

Nov 26, 2021
I have been using this computer with this configuration for years now and it's been a beast. As time has gone on I started getting random "failed overclock" messages (i'm assuming from using xmp to push my ram.)

Out of nowhere I noticed my ram went from 64gb to 32gb, so I checked my bios and saw that half of my ram wasn't showing up anymore. After testing all the ram individually and see that they all worked I plug them back in, but only half of them showed up.

After more testing I found that dimm A1, B1, C1, and D1 worked while A2, B2, C2, and D2 will no longer work. Rgbs light up on the ram, but the bios won't detect it. I popped the cpu out to reseat and check for bent pins (there weren't any.) After putting all my ram in the remaining working dimms I started getting bluescreens constantly and it has only gotten worse and after an OS fresh install and wiping the ssd's and hd's I still experience constant bsods. It'll even freeze in the bios at times.

So ultimately my question is: Does this sound like a mobo replacement or a cpu replacement?

I've been itching for tarkov and I need help!! Thanks for reading my first and hopefully only long-winded "help me" post!

Specs:
Mobo: asus can't remember off the top of my head
Gpu: nvidia 1080 ti founders edition
Cpu: intel i7-6800k
Ram: 4x16gb corsair dominator ddr4-3200

The default position is that its MUCH more likely to be motherboard than CPU.

I don't know how trustworthy your tests of the RAM were. Could be all sticks are good, which would imply motherboard problem. I'm assuming all sticks were properly clean and seated well.

Don't know what more you can do assuming you aren't a qualified technician with proper instruments and tools.

I assume you don't have another board you can swap in as a test.

I suppose could be power supply, but wouldn't be at the top of my list.

Nov 26, 2021
The default position is that its MUCH more likely to be motherboard than CPU.

I don't know how trustworthy your tests of the RAM were. Could be all sticks are good, which would imply motherboard problem. I'm assuming all sticks were properly clean and seated well.

Don't know what more you can do assuming you aren't a qualified technician with proper instruments and tools.

I assume you don't have another board you can swap in as a test.

I suppose could be power supply, but wouldn't be at the top of my list.

I tested each stick of ram individually in the A1 dimm and they all worked, I even bought new ram just to be safe and cleaned all the sticks and dimm slots.

I don't have the tools to check the mobos solders, my local IT guy doesn't have a cpu I can pop in to check if its the cpu, so i'm at the point where I have to kind of take a leap of faith guess. I was leaning towards the mobo as well, but was hoping that someone out there had a similar issue.
Thanks for responding, i'm glad were both leaning in the same direction as to mobo or cpu.