[SOLVED] CPU or motherboard problem?

GuidoP

Honorable
Sep 10, 2016
Hi,

The last days my PC froze a couple of times.

First time I use the startbutton to close the system, restarted and all was fine.
Yesterday it froze again after some minutes, turned it of by holding the start button and then restared but there was no signal to my monitor. After removing, de usb slots, removing and re inserting the Ram sticks, changing the graphicscart nothing happend, there was still no signal. After some hours experimenting the system started up but there was an Bios overclocking warning. Reset everything into default and restarted but no screen connection.

Finally I got the PC started and it worked from 11AM till 24PM without a problem.

This morning I started up the pc and once again no connection with the monitor, turned of the powersupply, remoed the usb slots(2 of 3 usb ports) restarted but still no connection. After connecting both the displayport and the hdmi I got a signal and everything is running smooth. Speccy gives all the time normal temperatures.

When I started up the last days everything turned on: fans, GPU card. But no monitorsignal.

I explained this to the guy in the shop where I did buy some hardware in the past and he said it could be two things: a bad motherboard or a dying CPU.

I also remarked that when the usb slots are inserted and I put something in them the things plugged in don't work like an usb bleutooth cable or an mididevice.

I looked here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/
but it is still not clear for me which part is dying.

I thought maybe someone here could give some advice?

Motherboard: Asus B85Plus
Ram: 32 Gig corsair
GPU Geforce 1070 8G Ram
CPU: i7-4770
Power: Antec HCG 620 High current gamer

Everything is updated, CPU and motherboard are bought in May 2014

I don't have money to replace both and would be happy to keep it working till the end of the year because than I can buy a motherboard with an 1551 socket and components like DDR4 memory RAM.

Looking forward to your answers!

Solution
CPUs don't die, unless you over volt them. Have you tried plugging the monitor into the video out on the motherboard? Since you reset the motherboard the video signal might be coming from the integrated GPU in the CPU. In the BIOS check if the video is set to integrated or discrete.

As for the freezes, have you considered the PSU could be at fault. Do you have a spare? or no someone who might have one?

Diddly

Distinguished
CPUs don't die, unless you over volt them. Have you tried plugging the monitor into the video out on the motherboard? Since you reset the motherboard the video signal might be coming from the integrated GPU in the CPU. In the BIOS check if the video is set to integrated or discrete.

As for the freezes, have you considered the PSU could be at fault. Do you have a spare? or no someone who might have one?

Solution

GuidoP

Honorable
Sep 10, 2016

Yes, yesterday I tried it with the video on the motherboard but no signal and then messings around and got it working. I don't know anyone with a PSU who can help me. I set now in the Bios both, integrated and/or discrete.

Had also no problems now at restarting, getting in the Bios, saving the changes and did restart smoothly. I will see what tomorrowmorning happens or I could put it in sleep till the end of the year.

Thanks for your answer!

GuidoP

Honorable
Sep 10, 2016

No problems with upstarting now!