[SOLVED] Cpu or Power supply faulty?

Aug 9, 2019
I have a pc that i upgraded time by time, i bought a fx 6300 like 4 months ago, nothing happened until 1 month ago when my pc started randomly restarting, popping up blue screens or simply freezing and not unfreezing until i reboot from button, my thoughts were that the cpu is the problem so i changed it with my old one, a athlon ii x3 450 and nothing happened anymore except for my nouse and keyboard losing power... when i searched about this things like freezing and restarting its said to be the power supply... when i opened it, it had some black burns inside the case, so...now which one is faulty? The cpu or the psu??! Is there a chance that my cpu would work normally if i change the power supply?

Solution
I would say its the PSU as well. The amount of power draw is much higher on the 6300 vs the 430. Since the cpu is running out of power with the faulty psu it is causing the system restarts. Weird voltage spikes will cause your system to shutdown for safety. Your cpu is most likely fine as it is designed to shutdown under unsafe loads. The only other thing to consider would be the motherboard, but the PSU needs to be replaced first.

dannyrg85

Honorable
Feb 27, 2014
"it had some black burns inside the case " that sounds like your PSU had a short and is failing to provide correct amounts of power now. You can pick up a good PSU for $70 I would do that ASAP, you dont want to risk using a faulty PSU

Reactions: Knaifuu

dannyrg85

Honorable
Feb 27, 2014
Ok but what about the cpu?
I am not going to pretend like I know exactly whats going on in terms of the CPU. However, the PSU is a must fix issue. As far as the CPU, the best guess I would have is that since you are having issues with both just different issues it could be something about the way/ammount of power that they draw. I would say just start with the PSU and see where that gets you.

Aug 10, 2019
I would say its the PSU as well. The amount of power draw is much higher on the 6300 vs the 430. Since the cpu is running out of power with the faulty psu it is causing the system restarts. Weird voltage spikes will cause your system to shutdown for safety. Your cpu is most likely fine as it is designed to shutdown under unsafe loads. The only other thing to consider would be the motherboard, but the PSU needs to be replaced first.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS