[SOLVED] cpu or power supply or etc.

Feb 21, 2019
Here's what i am encountering atm. Initially, the power cable of my system unit is plugged into an extension chord (a) which is directly connected to the wall socket. suddenly my pc shuts without anysigns of problems, like it just literally went dead. So i tried to check if the power cable is just loose or something, but it isn't. tried switching it to the other socket and still it wont work, also tried plugging it into the wall socket but it didnt work at all. So i got another extension chord (b) to see if it can work, i plug it into extension chord (b) and have it connected into a different wall socket and it worked. I was wondering what could be the problem here. but now extension b doesnt work anymore *my pc went dead again, i tried pluggin it into another wall socket and it worked. So is the problem about the processor why it wont start or the power supply? But i think its the power supply, but let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Solution
If OS loads and you get to play games before it shuts down again probably the PSU is the culprit here.

That CPU fan turning off after booting is something you have to look into. If the CPU gets too hot (near or over TJMax) it throttles and would shut down.

Check what the temperatures are like. You can run portable HWiNFO (no installation needed) from here and check CPU and GPU temperatures from the Sensors window. It also shows CPU, GPU and case fan speeds (provided they are connected to motherboard headers).

Also check 3.3, 5 and 12 volt voltage reading from the same Sensors window.

You can post screen shots from the temps and voltages here too.

Electric plugs here where I live have no earth/grounding connections (actually...

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
It takes a while to change extension cords and try and maybe your PSU actually needs power cycling to turn on.

Instead of changing cords see if the PSU turns on after turning its own switch off and on again.

Does the motherboard have a speaker/buzzer? Are there any beeps when the system does turn on? When you say "chord (b) and have it connected into a different wall socket and it worked" by "worked" you mean it booted and OS loaded or it just came ON?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
2 possible causes. 1 psu has about had enough, and is requiring a power reset in order to reset tripped internal protective circuitry. 2 is your household electrical. Many times, electricians just stab their wiring into the back of an outlet, it's fast and works, just not long term. As the sockets get used with regularity like a pc (your plugs are all daisy-chained in a line) the first one in line has the full draw going through it, on those stabs. This starts creating heat which weakens the connection, which creates more heat... In the end, 1 wire will lose connection, your pc shuts off. You pick a different outlet, but that first outlet has cooled off, so makes connection again. Use the pc, short while later, Bing, powers out again.

Easiest way to check that (since you are dragging extension cords around) is to choose an outlet that's on a different circuit. If your pc in in a bedroom, plug it into the bathroom, throw extension out a window and plug it in downstairs etc, anywhere except plugs that are on your bedroom circuit. Can also use the pc normal outlet and plug in a hairdryer for the amount of time usually before power trips.

If power shuts off, 90% it's your psu acting up. If power remains, it's your household electric that needs fixing.

What is the rating on your exstension cord? Does it have a grounding prong on it ie a third hole for the grounding prong?
This doesn't matter at all. No power cord is going to be rated less than 3 amp, and if it was, it would melt the cable if you used something like bell wire. (although not strictly true, I am just giving an example)
Earth won't matter either, since this is for safety and not to power the machine.

I would say the PSU is failing and is protecting your computer from blowing up. So if it is doing that, then it's doing its job. Either replace the PSU or borrow a friends.
Also if its a cheap PSU, a lot of them fail if and when the FAN dies a death as well.

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
This doesn't matter at all. No power cord is going to be rated less than 3 amp, and if it was, it would melt the cable if you used something like bell wire. (although not strictly true, I am just giving an example)
Earth won't matter either, since this is for safety and not to power the machine.

I would say the PSU is failing and is protecting your computer from blowing up. So if it is doing that, then it's doing its job. Either replace the PSU or borrow a friends.
Also if its a cheap PSU, a lot of them fail if and when the FAN dies a death as well.
The third prong is for grounding the appliance to prevent overload, surges and frying of internal parts and to regulate voltages along with being a safety item to run the electricity to the ground.

Feb 21, 2019
It takes a while to change extension cords and try and maybe your PSU actually needs power cycling to turn on.

Instead of changing cords see if the PSU turns on after turning its own switch off and on again.

Does the motherboard have a speaker/buzzer? Are there any beeps when the system does turn on? When you say "chord (b) and have it connected into a different wall socket and it worked" by "worked" you mean it booted and OS loaded or it just came ON?
it booted and the os loaded, i got to play with my pc before it shuts down again.

Feb 21, 2019
this might be crazy, diff or what. i tried jumpstarting the pc without a case. this is what ive found out. the processor's fan moved but after a few seconds it stopped. i tried it again and again but i only got the same result. It moved for a a second or two then i ceased moving.

The third prong is for grounding the appliance to prevent overload, surges and frying of internal parts and to regulate voltages along with being a safety item to run the electricity to the ground.

Not going to hi-jack this thread, but are you saying, all computers in most of South East Asia and Africa won't work because Ground/Earth is not in the houses? Just so you know, my job is very much around Electric and how it works.

Are you saying the fan spins up and then stops while the computer is in windows, or it just span up for a second before computer stopped working.
Generallym CPU fants never spin down, unless power dies, but there is sometimes like a double boot through a bios that would pause the fan for a few seconds.

Did you see the FAN spinning on the PSU? Was the PSU hot to the touch or just warm?

I'd still conclude its the PSU at fault and the more you play with it the more chances you have of destroying the rest of your computer. Then the real expense will come.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If OS loads and you get to play games before it shuts down again probably the PSU is the culprit here.

That CPU fan turning off after booting is something you have to look into. If the CPU gets too hot (near or over TJMax) it throttles and would shut down.

Check what the temperatures are like. You can run portable HWiNFO (no installation needed) from here and check CPU and GPU temperatures from the Sensors window. It also shows CPU, GPU and case fan speeds (provided they are connected to motherboard headers).

Also check 3.3, 5 and 12 volt voltage reading from the same Sensors window.

You can post screen shots from the temps and voltages here too.

Electric plugs here where I live have no earth/grounding connections (actually I don't think it's mandatory according to construction code/law) and there's no problem with using PC power cords or any other electrical or electronic appliance that has thrid prong connector. Except when there's actually something wrong with electric circuitry in the building fluctuating current/voltages or the physical wiring such as short circuits etc. which is pretty much the case everywhere in the world regardless of having earth/grounding connection or not.

Solution