Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

Doing anything CPU intensive like video format conversion or running SiSoft
Sandra CPU benchmark the PC switches itself off. No error messages and
nothing unusual in Event Viewer.
Monitoring temps and voltages they seem OK but CPU usage goes to 100% then
PC freezes and shuts down. All background apps closed at the time.
Using XP Pro/SP2, Athlon 2500XP, 512MB PC2700, Asus A7N8X and 350W PSU.
Working perfectly until recently but I did have an external HDD failure.
Question is can a failing PSU cause these symptoms or is it more likely a
failing CPU?
Any advice or suggestions welcome.

--

Kenny Cargill

Hi Kenny,

A failing PSU can possibly cause this problem, but from your description I'd
say it's more likely to be cpu or motherboard related. A PSU is fairly easy
to swap out, so it'd be worth a shot to do so, at worst you eliminate that
as a possibility and have a spare one.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Doing anything CPU intensive like video format conversion or running
> SiSoft Sandra CPU benchmark the PC switches itself off. No error messages
> and nothing unusual in Event Viewer.
> Monitoring temps and voltages they seem OK but CPU usage goes to 100% then
> PC freezes and shuts down. All background apps closed at the time.
> Using XP Pro/SP2, Athlon 2500XP, 512MB PC2700, Asus A7N8X and 350W PSU.
> Working perfectly until recently but I did have an external HDD failure.
> Question is can a failing PSU cause these symptoms or is it more likely a
> failing CPU?
> Any advice or suggestions welcome.
>
> --
>
> Kenny Cargill

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

A failing or overheating video card is a definite possisibility. The PSU
isn't all that likely. CPU sudden overheating maybe.
-

"Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Doing anything CPU intensive like video format conversion or running
> SiSoft Sandra CPU benchmark the PC switches itself off. No error messages
> and nothing unusual in Event Viewer.
> Monitoring temps and voltages they seem OK but CPU usage goes to 100% then
> PC freezes and shuts down. All background apps closed at the time.
> Using XP Pro/SP2, Athlon 2500XP, 512MB PC2700, Asus A7N8X and 350W PSU.
> Working perfectly until recently but I did have an external HDD failure.
> Question is can a failing PSU cause these symptoms or is it more likely a
> failing CPU?
> Any advice or suggestions welcome.
>
> --
>
> Kenny Cargill

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

Went to PC World and bought a Jeantech 500W quiet PSU. The ATX connector is
a 24 pin type but is supposed to fit a 20 pin board connector, the other 4
pins being unused. The connector doesn't push fully home at one side and PC
won't work. Checked for bent pins etc. but nothing visible.
PC still working with the old PSU back in but the fan is very noisy. Looks
like back to PC World for a refund or replacement tomorrow.

--

Kenny Cargill