[SOLVED] CPU or RAM bottleneck?

Aug 22, 2019
Hi, I have an i7-3770 paired with 16 GB of DDR3 @1600Mhz and a 1660 ti. I can't run rust at above 60 FPS, my frames usually drop to around 40-50 when I have been playing for a while. I have followed many optimisation guides for rust yet they don't seem to help fix my issue. My GPU is around 40-50% usage in game and 80% CPU, however I'm not sure if it is the CPU or memory speed which is bottle-necking as I have seen some videos with the same processor getting 90-100 FPS. The only better processor which is supported in the LGA 1155 chipset is the i7-3770k which is the overclockable version of my current processor. I'm not sure if upgrading to this CPU would do anything to my in game performance. Could the problem potentially be a memory speed bottleneck?

Solution
If Rust is installed on an HDD, you could try defragmenting it in order to speed it up. To do this, click the start menu, search for defrag and click the optimise disks app. Now, analyse your hard drive and once done optimise it.

You could also try running a virus scan with Malwarebytes. This is the antivirus that seems to have the biggest detection rate. The first 14 days will be a trial for the premium edition, after which the free version will be activated.

You should also try to reinstall your graphics drivers. Download the newest ones from Nvidia's website. If you are using, or have used, driver downloaders, speed boosters or system optimisers etc, go onto the next step.

The last thing I'd suggest is to reset Windows. On Windows...
It could also be caused by an inadequate PSU, single channel RAM, or bad cooling.

What PSU do you have?

How many sticks of RAM do you have? If it's 2 sticks on a 4 slot motherboard, make sure they are in slot 2 and 4 (so that it goes empty, RAM, empty, RAM).

Using MSI Afterburner (or any other in-game monitor), what temperatures is everything showing? Specifically CPU and GPU.

Aug 22, 2019
It could also be caused by an inadequate PSU, single channel RAM, or bad cooling.

What PSU do you have?

How many sticks of RAM do you have? If it's 2 sticks on a 4 slot motherboard, make sure they are in slot 2 and 4 (so that it goes empty, RAM, empty, RAM).

Using MSI Afterburner (or any other in-game monitor), what temperatures is everything showing? Specifically CPU and GPU.

It's a 650W Antec PSU, however the RAM is in slots 1 and 3. I have used the on screen display for MSI afterburner and the temperatures for both the GPU & CPU are hovering around 60 degrees Celsius.

If Rust is installed on an HDD, you could try defragmenting it in order to speed it up. To do this, click the start menu, search for defrag and click the optimise disks app. Now, analyse your hard drive and once done optimise it.

You could also try running a virus scan with Malwarebytes. This is the antivirus that seems to have the biggest detection rate. The first 14 days will be a trial for the premium edition, after which the free version will be activated.

You should also try to reinstall your graphics drivers. Download the newest ones from Nvidia's website. If you are using, or have used, driver downloaders, speed boosters or system optimisers etc, go onto the next step.

The last thing I'd suggest is to reset Windows. On Windows 10, this is found in Settings -> Update and Security -> Recovery. Under reset this PC, click get started. Follow the instructions to reset the computer.

Solution