Question cpu over clocking

Jun 14, 2020
Please keep it to 1 thread
how come when ever i try to over clock to 3.9 ghz above its locked to 3.78 ghz

Jun 14, 2020
My i7 6850k is supposed to be running at 4ghz all of my cores but only one core is running at 4ghz and the rest are running at 3.8 ghz can someone help me so i can get them all to run at 4ghz

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
3.8 is the all core turbo boost for that chip.

4.0 is a the Intel turbo 3.0 which will often only mean 1 core will likely achieve 4.0GHz under the right conditions. Your CPU is behaving normally.

Also this would be referred to as Boost/Turbo, and isn't technically overclocking.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
so is there a way i can get my cpu to 4ghz on all my cores?
You'd have to manually overclock it. Which of course comes with its own precautions and you'll want to do pletty on research before jumping into it. There are plenty of guides on overclocking CPUs on this forum.

You'll have to make sure you have a motherboard that allows you to overclock and a cooler than can also handle it.

Jun 14, 2020
When ever i try to over clock my i7 6850k to 4ghz only one core overclocks to 4ghz and the other cores stay at 3.8 ghz and ive seen people get all there cores to 4ghz can someone help me

Jun 14, 2020
yeah there is ive tried all cores options and ive also set the cores individually aswell to 4ghz and they still end up being stuck at 3.8 ghz but in the past when ive overclocked in the past this has never happened to me