Mar 23, 2022
Good Day Everyone
So two months ago i replaced my Phanteks PH-TC14PE with a brand new Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L V2 in hopes that i get better temps. My Phanteks cooler had no problems running cool on 35° on idle and 65° on stress loads. I do understand that this is a hot Cpu with 130 W TDP but when using the cooler master it goes all the way up 40° idle and 70-90° stressed.
Pointers:
  • i dont overclock
  • i removed the plastic film at the bottom of the block
-its mounte to the front of the pc on instake fans but was mounted to the back on outake.
  • i applied the thermal paste it came with one ( application method: one strip down the middle )
  • my Gpu idles at 32 and 60 stressed
  • this is my first aio , is it normal to feel alot of hot air being exhausted out the case ? or have i mounted it wrong
Im thining maybe i need to by better thermal paste or maybe i have mounted it wrong i dont know PLease help , if i cant find a solution ill have to put back my Phanteks.
Specs :
Cpu: i7 3930k
Gpu: gigabyte g1 1080
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth x79
Cpu cooler : Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L V2
PSU: Corsair RM850x
Case : Cooler Master Matrex 70

Solution
The 65C you had on stress loads w/ the other cooler was fine, IMO...

(If your case has room, most medium AIO affairs are still hard pressed to even match the temps of the Noctua NH-D15, but, it requires a sufficiently wide case due to it's 165mm mounting height needed)
Perhaps you were overestimating the cooling capabilities of a smallish radiator/single fan AIO...? (Although not directed at you, I suspect many hear 'liquid cooled' and think such an affair must rival one of Intel's notorious 1 horsepower -34F chilling units. :)

If you are getting lots of of hot air exhausted from the case, is it safe to assume you radiator fan is sucking air into the case, with subsequent now warmer air exhausting into the case? (And if so, does this match the AIO's mounting/use instructions?)

Mar 23, 2022
Perhaps you were overestimating the cooling capabilities of a smallish radiator/single fan AIO...? (Although not directed at you, I suspect many hear 'liquid cooled' and think such an affair must rival one of Intel's notorious 1 horsepower -34F chilling units. :)

If you are getting lots of of hot air exhausted from the case, is it safe to assume you radiator fan is sucking air into the case, with subsequent now warmer air exhausting into the case? (And if so, does this match the AIO's mounting/use instructions?)

This was my first time owning an aio after being a long time air cooler main. i do think i over estimated the capabilities of the 120. now i know to get 240 or higher.

The 65C you had on stress loads w/ the other cooler was fine, IMO...

(If your case has room, most medium AIO affairs are still hard pressed to even match the temps of the Noctua NH-D15, but, it requires a sufficiently wide case due to it's 165mm mounting height needed)

Solution