CPU over Heats

Bakinskiy

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Guys i have not done anything different to computer. all i did install GTX 750Ti video card. My Power supply is 350W. When i did Power supply calculator with all my computer parts, it recommended 304W but i have 350W. The computer is 6 years old. I change termopasta on CPU also 2 days ago. And i have fans that came with case. I bought computer from Best Buy. Please help CPU 67C
HOT_zpswiemmjlt.png

dumb_man

Distinguished
May 18, 2008
If you start task manager and leave the PC idle for above five minutes, does the CPU usage come down to between 0 - 3% ? Also since its a 6 year old PC, when did you last blow the dust out of it?

In the HWMonitor pic you attached, all 4 CPU cores are running at close to max speed instead of at idling speed - this usually indicates that some background task is running and the PC is not idle.

siddharthkratos

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I was having the same problem on my 2.5 y/o cpu so i made this thread
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2948121/cpu-temps-high-applying-thermal-paste.html#17382998

I was getting same temps like you for about a month, idle temps going from 40-65C and on CPU hungry games like GTA V, DOTA 2 temps would go to 90C+ in 5min. Prime95 rockted my temp to 95C at full load in 2min

I bought thermal paste and applied it thinking it would have dried, still no change

So i applied again thinking that maybe i applied wrongly or heatsink wasnt fitting perfectly

then a guy on the thread said "have you tried cleaning your heatsink" and stupid me didnt even know that it you could clean that

So i cleaned it and now my temps are fine and back to normal for a stock cooler

In my thread i posted a video asking if it was a correct way but after some searches i found out that there is no need yo remove heatsink vents from the fan and you can just clean it without removing it

If you can get those canned air then use that to clean it however hold your fan(tip your finger on top of it) and then blow it and remove all the dust from those vents
I used natural air method that is by blowing air from my mouth and cleaned those vents with a brush(tooth brush very gently) or i have heard that there is a brush used in barbeques which is also perfect

If you have already cleaned your heatsink and the problem still exists then maybe your heatsink is loose and is not fitted properly

That's all i can help you with

Bakinskiy

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
First of all Thank you all for great answers. But i have done everything you guys has wrote here. I did change thermopast again " no help". Then i Took hair dryer Blowing dust and i took vacuum cleaning the whole fan and heatsink. "same issue"
NOW i have another question. THE PART IS CPU i7 860 Which is 7 years old part. Could it be that the programs this days like chrome browsers and other have and use more power Maybe its just my CPU can no longer keep up with our 2016 times ?

dumb_man

Distinguished
May 18, 2008

I think you have some virus or malware or background task running which means that the CPU usage is never between 0 to 3% when its idle. (CPU temp remains high when its constantly in use.)

Bakinskiy

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Just few days ago i have bought new Hard Drive 160GB and have re installed the whole windows 7 Ultra. So the computer has just MSI and Hardware monitor Pro. Computer is clean.

dumb_man

Distinguished
May 18, 2008
You need to learn to read the posts on this forum and to reply to them if you want help.

BTW, I don't think that 160GB HDDs are still available or that there is an "Ultra" version of Windows 7

Bakinskiy

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

Thank you for the feedback. You right man, I am all over the place, Its Windows Ultra. 160Gb yes there still is. Thank you

siddharthkratos

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

It is Windows 7 Ultimate
Now only thing i can suggest is you get a CPU cooler, if you live in US then get cooler master Hyper 212 evo it is super cheap there ~$25

Just make sure your case is compatible with it

Anonymoose_

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015
I am guessing that you have the stock CPU cooler, and this happened the same with me. I removed the cooler to replace the thermal paste and on the stock coolers / old coolers for some reason they never work very well after you have removed them. I would suggest buying a new CPU cooler (Hyper 212 evo is very good and cheap).