CPU over temperature Error

Nov 14, 2018
So I built this computer a little over 5 years, and up until now it has been performing tremendously. But a couple days ago I started getting CPU over temperature error. After digging around in the BIOS I see that my CPU is getting up as high as 91 degrees Celsius while idling and capping off right there. The system is an Intel I7 3930k 6 core CPU with a Corsair H100i water cooler.

I did take apart all the fans and cleaned them along with blowing compressed air all throughout the machine to eliminate any dust, but i still had the same problem. So I removed the water cooler and saw that the thermal paste was almost all gone. I cleaned off the CPU and heatsink of the cooler with isopropyl alcohol and applied new thermal paste, but again I'm still getting the same CPU over temperature Error...

I don't believe the water cooler is malfunctioning in any way because the Corsair link program that came with the cooler says it still runs exactly the same as it has the past 5 years.

So if it's not thermal paste, it's not dust, and it's not the fans...I don't know what the problem could be. All I know is that when the system boots up after being turned off for an extended period of time, the temperatures start at around 35 degrees Celsius and rapidly skyrocket up to the high 80's and low 90's, and it slows down my pc almost to a halt...Any advice/help?

Solution
zebraguy96,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

Many AIO's experience "pump" failure within 1 year, especially those which run 24 / 7, so 5 years should be close to a new world record. Many failures are due to "impeller stall" because the impeller can no longer rotate. Sediments accumulate over time from galvanic corrosion caused by dissimilar metals (copper water block / aluminum radiator) stopping the impeller, which is magnetically coupled to the motor.

Since the impeller is not directly driven by the motor's shaft, it means that if the impeller stalls, the motor will continue to rotate. This also means users can "hear" the motor running and "feel" the vibration, which is very misleading. Sound...

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Yeah that's my thought as well, does the corsair link software have flow rate data?

The trouble with AIO coolers is there is no visible indication of what's going on inside so you can't tell if it's lost fluid or the pump has stopped working etc.

Nov 14, 2018
The Corsair Link program does not come with any data about flow rate. All it shows the user is fan speeds and temperatures of all the various components i.e. motherboard, graphics card, CPU etc.. It does say that for the H100i that the temperature for the cooler itself is about 90 degrees celsius as well, and the fan speeds are approx. 2400 rpm for the 2 included fans.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
zebraguy96,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

Many AIO's experience "pump" failure within 1 year, especially those which run 24 / 7, so 5 years should be close to a new world record. Many failures are due to "impeller stall" because the impeller can no longer rotate. Sediments accumulate over time from galvanic corrosion caused by dissimilar metals (copper water block / aluminum radiator) stopping the impeller, which is magnetically coupled to the motor.

Since the impeller is not directly driven by the motor's shaft, it means that if the impeller stalls, the motor will continue to rotate. This also means users can "hear" the motor running and "feel" the vibration, which is very misleading. Sound and vibration does not indicate flow, nor does pump RPM in BIOS or in Corsair Link. Without an actual flow indicator, pump temperature compared to radiator temperature is the next best method to confirm "flow failure", which is where an I/R thermometer becomes very handy.

Contrary to ChumP's description, without warm coolant flowing from the pump, the radiator remains relatively cool due to air flow. But since the pump is in direct contact with the CPU which is the heat source, the pump housing and cooling tubes immediately adjacent to the pump quickly become warm due to lack of coolant flow.

Unlike custom loops, so called "maintenance free" AIO's can't be disassembled, drained, cleaned or easily refilled. Moreover, since coolant will eventually evaporate through the tubes due to "permeation", some premature "pump" failures are actually caused by insufficient coolant level, which causes the impeller to "cavitate" in a bubble. Occasionally, premature "pump" failure is attributed to inadequate coolant level originating at the factory during final assembly.

Regardless of the reason for failure, Corsair honors their 5 year warranty. Hopefully your AIO is still within the warranty period, and you still have the receipt so you can receive an RMA replacement. Also ... let's hope you have a standby air cooler so your rig won't be down during the RMA process.

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:

Solution
Nov 14, 2018
FOLLOW UP: So I did install a new water cooler, and sure enough all the temperatures dropped back down to the mid 30's (Celsius). Thanks again everyone for your help and support!