[SOLVED] CPU over temperature reboots although temps seem fine! (5950x)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2020
I've got an Asus Crosshair VIII Hero that has previously been running a 5800x with no issues whatsoever for the last three weeks straight. Stock settings in bios, with a Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler.

I finally got my 5950x in today, so I popped it in and I'm getting random reboots and then a "CPU over temperature" error. Most of the time this happens immediately after windows boots up to the desktop, like not even enough time for me to open ryzen master and look at anything. But when I have been able to get it open quickly, I see the temps get into the high 70s for a quick second, voltage is at 1.4ish.

All settings in the BIOS are stock, BIOS has been updated to the latest version 3003 as of today.

The other weird thing is, when it actually manages to not reboot, I can run cinebench 50 times, multi and single core, I can play games for hours at a time and the temps are fine.

Full load never goes above 65c, single core never over 75c. Idle at 35-40c.

My heatsink is mounted correctly, thermal paste is fine. The fans are running and ramp up when needed etc.

I'm not really sure what to do here. This is my first Ryzen system.

It appears that disabling the core performance boost solves the problem maybe, the jury is still out, but it hasn't rebooted yet. This is quite a bummer if I can't use the CPU the way it was intended.

Other hardware of note:

128GB HyperX 3200
Corsair ax850
2x 1080Tis

Solution
i have this too with a ch8 dark hero and 5950x - i believe it is the vdrop + when your vcore is too low. 1,4v on 5950x on allcore boost too high, no air cooler can handle that. if you have pbo & allcore boost for example i have this issue with 4,6ghz and 1,23v cinebench r23 (after the 4rd run) it reboots with over temperature error, when the temps where 70° - if i try the same with a higher vcore 1,244v all is fine, max temp is 80°. (so with a higher voltage) try also to increase your load lince calibration to lvl2 or 3 - should prevent the vdrop a little bit.
Dec 9, 2020
I tried that as well as reverting to the previous bios 2702.

It seems that any time the CPU boosts above ~4.9 Ghz, it crashes and reports the "CPU over temperature". Even though the temps never seem to get past normal. Even opening something like Chrome. It seems the simpler the process, the faster it boosts for a shorter time and it crashes.

Disabling the boosting all together and locking the CPU at 3.4 Ghz definitely solves it.

My wild guess is that this chip just isn't stable at that frequency and crashes, that BIOS error is just what shows up. I honestly don't believe this is temperature related at all.

I'm trying to see if there is a way to limit the max boost speed in the BIOS without having to do a bunch of other overclocking stuff. I really just want this to work as intended and shouldn't have to mess with this type of stuff.

I came from a dual xeon system that was rock solid for 8 years. I just need it to work.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021
I'm having this same issue with a Ryzen 7 3800x at 4.3, temperature is under 70c while running at 100% load for extended periods, but sometimes it just goes black and boots to the BIOS CPU Temperature error. I've tried changing various settings and had no luck.
Did you ever find a solution for this?

seste

Commendable
Jul 12, 2018
i have this too with a ch8 dark hero and 5950x - i believe it is the vdrop + when your vcore is too low. 1,4v on 5950x on allcore boost too high, no air cooler can handle that. if you have pbo & allcore boost for example i have this issue with 4,6ghz and 1,23v cinebench r23 (after the 4rd run) it reboots with over temperature error, when the temps where 70° - if i try the same with a higher vcore 1,244v all is fine, max temp is 80°. (so with a higher voltage) try also to increase your load lince calibration to lvl2 or 3 - should prevent the vdrop a little bit.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.