Question CPU Over Voltage Error

Evan builder

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
I've had this PC for about 3 years. When I boot up my PC I can randomly have a chance of running into a "CPU Over Voltage Error". The BIOS and CPU-Z show voltage around 1.35 which is normal. So it seems like maybe a false positive is happening somewhere on startup? Should I reflash bios? Flash to the same version again? Change the battery on Mobo? Not sure how to proceed or if Im doing damage with each unsuccessful boot. This problem started happening almost a year ago but I just put it off til now, happens less frequently than it used to back then.

CPU: Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard: Asus x470-f
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8x4 3200
SSD/HDD: Samsung 860 Evo SSD
GPU: MSI GTX 1080
PSU: EVGA 650w G3
Chassis: Meshify C
BIOS: 5851
Monitor: viewsonic xg2402 + Benq XL2411

Peripherals: Mouse, keyboard, blue yeti, logitech c920 cam, headphones, 2USB

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at the time of writing? Perhaps see if a donor PSU that's of reliable build quality and slightly higher wattage for the build, changes your experience. I'd also advise on relocating the system to another wall outlet and see if that changes the issue. How often is this, random, you speak of?

Evan builder

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at the time of writing? Perhaps see if a donor PSU that's of reliable build quality and slightly higher wattage for the build, changes your experience. I'd also advise on relocating the system to another wall outlet and see if that changes the issue. How often is this, random, you speak of?
Back when it started close to a year ago, maybe 1 in 3? Now it's slightly better. 1 in 15, maybe even less frequently. I'll see if a new PSU makes a difference, that's good timing because I have a GT 1000W arriving tomorrow as I'm upgrading to an rtx 3080 soon.
Would using the top port, rather than the bottom, make a difference? I don't really have another outlet close by
The bios version I have currently is 5851

Last edited: