[SOLVED] CPU overclock gets reset when opening certain games

Aug 31, 2020
So I overclocked my ryzen 5 3600 to stable 4.25 GHz. Cinebench r20 and other stress test programs runs fine without crashing and temp are normal around 65C under test loads. Playing games are also fine.

So recently, I just open HWiNFO64 and let it run in the background. Suddenly, I noticed that my overclock got reset to the default clock of 3.6GHz and 4.2GHz boost. But this only happens when I open certain games, like Cod warzone, Valorant, AC odyssey. The second the game launches, the overclocking get reset instantly. And the this default settings stays until I restart or shutdown the computer.

After the computer reboot, the overclocking goes back to 4.25GHz, but would keep getting reset when I open those games mentioned above. Other games like FIFA, Sekiro, Minecraft didn't reset the overclock.

This is really weird. I haven't seen any post on the internet about this issue. Please help if you guys have encountered this.

System Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS
EVGA RTX 2060 Ko ultra
G.Skill Ripjaws V series 16GB

Solution
Not a fan of Dragon Center. It does some funky things. Probably the reason it resets the bios settings is because DC artificially bumps up the settings in the first place, like an all core OC setting at its own default PBO settings which are far above what AMD recommends for stock settings. By resetting the bios settings, it cancels out that artificial bump, or the cpu temps would be unreal.

Just get rid of Dragon Center, you'll be happier overall.
Aug 31, 2020
It turns out the MSI Dragon Center software was the culprit, specifically the gaming mode. The games mentioned above were in the list to be optimized when the gaming mode is enable. For some reason, gaming mode just reset the overclocking to default

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not a fan of Dragon Center. It does some funky things. Probably the reason it resets the bios settings is because DC artificially bumps up the settings in the first place, like an all core OC setting at its own default PBO settings which are far above what AMD recommends for stock settings. By resetting the bios settings, it cancels out that artificial bump, or the cpu temps would be unreal.

Just get rid of Dragon Center, you'll be happier overall.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Solution