Jun 1, 2020
Hi. I have overclocked my CPU for a while now and I recently noticed my fps went down 50%. I have had my Ryzen 5 2600x set at 3.8 ghz at 1.1875 voltage. I tried increasing the cpu frequency and voltage, but the fps is still extremely low. Now, you may wonder why would I overclock my CPU if my fps is higher when I have the CPU frequency at Auto. Without locking my CPU core, my FPS is extremely unstable in games and the FPS will microstutter every second droppign from the max frame rate of 162 to 20. The microstutters makes videogames unplayable, but a low FPS which is what I'm currently dealing with with my OC is also unplayable. Anyone have any solutions?

SPECS:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
GPU: Gtx 1060 6gb
Motherboard: ASROCK AB350M Pro4
Ram: 16gb DDR4 2400hz
CPU Temp: Betwen 60 and 66
GPU Temp: Between 65 and 70
HDD: 1.73 tb free of 1.81tb
SDD: 53 gb free of 111gb
Power Supply: Evga 600 watt 80 plus bronze

Solution
... I have had my Ryzen 5 2600x set at 3.8 ghz at 1.1875 voltage. I tried increasing the cpu frequency and voltage, but the fps is still extremely low. ...
You're actually under-clocking the CPU.

Fix the clocks at 4.3Ghz with a voltage of ~1.38V. It probably won't be 'prime95' stable but good enough for gaming. You'll need better-than-stock cooling too.

If it proves not to be gaming stable you can increase voltage a little bit maybe to 1.4V but definitely use better cooling. It's possible to push voltage up around 1.425V but then it will get very hot and it might degrade the CPU.

PBO is another good way to improve clocks, and much safer as you use negative voltage offsets to get higher boost clocks that last longer before...

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Hi. I have overclocked my CPU for a while now and I recently noticed my fps went down 50%. I have had my Ryzen 5 2600x set at 3.8 ghz at 1.1875 voltage. I tried increasing the cpu frequency and voltage, but the fps is still extremely low. Now, you may wonder why would I overclock my CPU if my fps is higher when I have the CPU frequency at Auto. Without locking my CPU core, my FPS is extremely unstable in games and the FPS will microstutter every second droppign from the max frame rate of 162 to 20. The microstutters makes videogames unplayable, but a low FPS which is what I'm currently dealing with with my OC is also unplayable. Anyone have any solutions?

SPECS:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
GPU: Gtx 1060 6gb
Motherboard: ASROCK AB350M Pro4
Ram: 16gb DDR4 2400hz
CPU Temp: Betwen 60 and 66
GPU Temp: Between 65 and 70
HDD: 1.73 tb free of 1.81tb
SDD: 53 gb free of 111gb
Power Supply: Evga 600 watt 80 plus bronze
Have you upgraded your bios to the last one?if not upgrade because it seems like a bios problem to me+was your cpu like that since you bought it?

... I have had my Ryzen 5 2600x set at 3.8 ghz at 1.1875 voltage. I tried increasing the cpu frequency and voltage, but the fps is still extremely low. ...
You're actually under-clocking the CPU.

Fix the clocks at 4.3Ghz with a voltage of ~1.38V. It probably won't be 'prime95' stable but good enough for gaming. You'll need better-than-stock cooling too.

If it proves not to be gaming stable you can increase voltage a little bit maybe to 1.4V but definitely use better cooling. It's possible to push voltage up around 1.425V but then it will get very hot and it might degrade the CPU.

PBO is another good way to improve clocks, and much safer as you use negative voltage offsets to get higher boost clocks that last longer before being pulled back. The cooler you can keep the processor the better it holds boost clocks and the greater the improvement on microstuttering.

The one common thread: get better cooling. It works just fine with stock cooling, but the better you cool it the better it holds clocks under load and that helps with micro-stuttering.

Last edited:
Solution