Thundurh

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2015
Hello there. I am wondering if overclocking my i5-4690k a bit would cause any damage to my computer. I just fried the same motherboard and GPU I have now by adding a power supply with too much wattage.. so just asking to be on the safe side! Cpu temps reach around 60 C when under high load without overclocking.

Specs:
ASUS Mini-ATX H81M-A Motherboard
16GB DDR3 Ram
i5 4690k CPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti GPU
EVGA 600W Powersupply

Thank ya!

Last edited:
Solution
I just fried the same motherboard and GPU I have now by adding a power supply with too much wattage.

I can guarantee that's not 'how' you fried a board.

In a very simplistic sense, a PSU doesn't 'push' wattage, a system 'pulls'.
You could connect a 1600W PSU to a system that draws <150W under 100% load and it would function 100% as intended, albeit outside the efficiency curve of a PSU (and assumes the PSU is not defective in some way).

ASUS Mini-ATX H81M-A

What kind of overclocking are you performing? H81 should not allow for multiplier changes... unless, perhaps, it did on an older BIOS revision - but then I wouldn't expect it to be compatible with a Devil's Canyon CPU.

In terms of 'safe', it mostly...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I just fried the same motherboard and GPU I have now by adding a power supply with too much wattage.

I can guarantee that's not 'how' you fried a board.

In a very simplistic sense, a PSU doesn't 'push' wattage, a system 'pulls'.
You could connect a 1600W PSU to a system that draws <150W under 100% load and it would function 100% as intended, albeit outside the efficiency curve of a PSU (and assumes the PSU is not defective in some way).

ASUS Mini-ATX H81M-A

What kind of overclocking are you performing? H81 should not allow for multiplier changes... unless, perhaps, it did on an older BIOS revision - but then I wouldn't expect it to be compatible with a Devil's Canyon CPU.

In terms of 'safe', it mostly comes down to voltage. Temperatures (CPU, VRM etc) are a byproduct of voltage.
A PSU can be a consideration, but while the 600W from EVGA (assuming 600W "White") isn't great, it shouldn't be damaging components unless it's defective.

Solution