[SOLVED] cpu overclocked, won’t boot up, did cmos reset, didn’t work, still in boot loop

memez.boi

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
i overclocked my cpu to 3.7 and upped the voltage to 1.4 and it worked fine for quite a while, i’d say maybe 2 months? then when i went to overclock it to 4.0 (cause i went to 3.9 without a problem) it crashed and i thought that it would just reset and boot up. sadly though, that’s not what happened. now it’s on a boot loop and won’t even show the bios. i reset the cmos with taking out the battery to the motherboard and left it out for 2 minutes, then i put it back in. when i turned it on everything started to look like it was working and it stayed on longer than usual, but it shut off and now it’s boot looping again. i have only gotten this pc 5 months ago and i built it. please help because i don’t want this money i spent to go to waist. (yes i know my cpu is very budget but the thing is that everyone i know who got this processor got it to 4.0 easily, so i thought i could do the same)

specs:
cpu: ryzen 3 2200g
motherboard: asus b450m-a prime
ram: corsair 8gb dual channel 3000 frequency
gpu: rx 580 8gb OC
psu: evga 500 watt bronze rated

The Asus b450m-a prime offers an analytic manual on how to reset your Bios. Accordingly to manual before applying the solution to remove the BIOS battery, there is an on-board BIOS reset button, there jumpers etc.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...33_MB_Pin_Definition_v2_print_vendor_only.pdf

Repeat the process of resetting the BIOS. Follow the above manual.

Then enter into BIOS advanced mode and Disable the Ai overclock tuner, lower the CPU core ratio, lower a bit the VDDCR CPU voltage.

Check your system stability.

memez.boi

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
Sounds like you killed it. Can you try the CPU in another system (long shot). Or buy a really cheap AMD CPU for testing just to see if it's just the cpu that died. The AMD A6-9500 is pretty cheap (£34) for instance.
i have been planning to buy the ryzen 5 2600 and i have the money for it. should i buy that and then test it or buy the cheap one?

memez.boi

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
The Asus b450m-a prime offers an analytic manual on how to reset your Bios. Accordingly to manual before applying the solution to remove the BIOS battery, there is an on-board BIOS reset button, there jumpers etc.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...33_MB_Pin_Definition_v2_print_vendor_only.pdf

Repeat the process of resetting the BIOS. Follow the above manual.

Then enter into BIOS advanced mode and Disable the Ai overclock tuner, lower the CPU core ratio, lower a bit the VDDCR CPU voltage.

Check your system stability.
just for example if it is stable when i do all of this, is it possible to try to go back turn on the tuner?if i remember correctly the tuner is for your ram isn’t it?

just for example if it is stable when i do all of this, is it possible to try to go back turn on the tuner?if i remember correctly the tuner is for your ram isn’t it?
About your last question: How to overclock your system using AI Overclocking

After you take the steps I suggest you and if the PC is stable, then it raises the possibility that you have a busted CPU and not a faulty M/B, RAM etc. Do the above steps and then we will see for the rest.

[Spoilers] If you get a stable system then you will try to flash your bios. You can't patch the BIOS while you getting random crashes reboots.

memez.boi

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020

After you take the steps I suggest you and if the PC is stable, then it raises the possibility that you have a busted CPU and not a faulty M/B, RAM etc. Do the above steps and then we will see for the rest.

[Spoilers] If you get a stable system then you will try to flash your bios. You can't patch the BIOS while you getting random crashes reboots.
got it! will try to do your steps and i’ll report back when i did so!

memez.boi

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020

nothing that was listed worked for me, what if i where to get a new cpu like the ryzen 5 2600 and just replaced it? would it work like that or no?

nothing that was listed worked for me, what if i where to get a new cpu like the ryzen 5 2600 and just replaced it? would it work like that or no?
It may work, it may not. There are more things you can do before spend money on PC parts to find a solution.

Generally if you have serious problems like constant looping, dead PC etc. the strategy is to test the system with only the essential parts in trial and error cycles.

For example:
Removed the parts out of the PC case, test-benched on wood table.

Remove complete the graphics card and the storage devices, leaving only the M/B,CPU,RAM,PSU. And check again.

If this doesn't work then remove the one memory stick.... put it in different Dimm slots. Do the same procedure with the other memory stick....

memez.boi

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
UPDATE: i did a cmos reset by taking out the battery to the the motherboard out for 30 minutes and it had been working fine for the last 3-4 days. i woke up this morning to turn it back on it is on a boot loop once more. do i just need to replace the cpu overall cause i didn’t overclock it when it came back on and it just went back to square one. HELP ME PLEASE