[SOLVED] Cpu overclocking?! Much help needed.TY

Apr 10, 2022
Good day everyone! I would much appreciated if any of you can help me out with overclocking my new CPU. Any kind of information regarding the overclocking or whatever other info you have is much needed for i have never owned an overclockable cpu before therefore I can say that this would be my first time! I learn quick so bare with me!😂 my components are : i9 12900 k ASRock z690 taichi Mobo, Corsair h150i elite LCD aio.cooler ,a data ddr5 5200 MHz ram, evga gtx 1070 founders edition GPU (plan to buy an Rtx later on) 850 w psu Thermal take gold edition RGB , I don't think it's important my m2's,but they are good for gaming I suppose.fast Reading,writing, etc. Thank you. I will provide more if needed. Thank you!

Solution
Yes and no. For your cpu, depends. Software has preprogrammed variables, it'll try OC at specific frequency, BCLK, voltages etc as it was programmed to do so, in a very generic way. That's the OC Genie or MSI Dragon Center auto OC.

But then there's stuff like Asus Turbo-V which is the most used parts of bios, put into software form, with no automation, you personally set the variables. These don't change bios, they override bios settings like the OS does and you apply them at every boot or not as you choose.

Some have good success using that kind of software to try out an OC and tinker with settings and voltages, but just to get the numbers, then hard code them into bios settings after on a more permanent solution and don't bother...

Lutfij

Titan
Apr 10, 2022
I'm concerned about that Thermaltake PSU in your build. Can you parse the model of the unit?

As for your query with overclocking, perhaps give these;
https://www.msi.com/blog/intel-Core-i9-12900K-FAQ–Cooler-Overclocking-and-More
a read and hopefully you should be seeing higher clocks.

What is the make and model of your chassis? Latest BIOS on the motherboard?

Toughpower GF1 arbg 850 w 80± gold As for bthe case i have a Be quiet Dark base pro 900
I'm not home at the moment,but as soon as I get i will let you know about the bios. As far as I know, I've updated everything 1 day ago. Thank you.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Going to be a waste of time for more casual users, which Jay tends to be more representative of:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2HvCcb-eTc

... unless you consider yourself up there with the likes of HiCookie, De8auer, Splave, etc, then it's a different story.
Also, Jay got his results on an open test bench; cooler has direct access to ambient air with no other obstacles. You are guaranteed to see higher core temperatures than what he achieved.

Let the mobo's auto OC feature do it for you, and play with voltage... or leave the auto OC alone, but still play with voltage.[Pretty much the summary of the video I linked.]

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
It used to be that you could get something for nothing via overclocking.
No more.
It turns out that letting the turbo mechanism boost work, you can get higher clocks on a few cores than you can with a conventional all core overclock.
High clocks on the master thread is more important for games.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
OC 12thgen is pointless. Intel relaxed Tau restrictions, so basically Turbo really means PL2 is unlimited Tau on all the cores in use.

What that means is if the game you play uses 5 cores, you'll get max turbo on all 5 cores, the other 3 will be half asleep and not adding a ton of heat for no purpose.

My 3770k was turbo 3.9GHz. After much tinkering, adjusting, tweaking and Google time, I got 5.0GHz on all 4/8 cores and went over budget on cooling and psu. A 12900k does that stock. But guaranteed you'll not get a 1.1GHz OC, at best you'd be looking at an extra 100MHz on all cores and go Way over budget on the cooling as that cpu heads North of 300w.

For this Gen, Z/K is realistically marketing Hype, you get suckered in by past knowledge.

Apr 10, 2022
Thank you !!@all. I've watched some tutorials and with the information that I've gotten from you guys, I've managed to overclock it. basically i used the bios from the motherboard and boosted it for performance mode. now it's overclocked. At least that's what it shows me in the task manager and in the bios. Goes between 4.8 and 4.9. Is there some kind of reading app to show you guys what I've done? Maybe I could get a better insight as to what is happening inside there?😀 @Karadjgne I see that everything is set on 100mhz on all cores.Probably I've done something good.✌️✌️

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Save your OC to a user profile in bios. Download Cinebench 23 or Geekbench or TimeSpy. Run those tests with your OC several times, after the pc is good and warm which with an aio takes roughly half an hour to acclimate temps. Then go back into bios, reset to factory default, and run the tests again. Compare the results. With CB, the OC numbers should be several hundred higher, with TimeSpy it's different, even a small double digit change is good.

You can load up the OC profile you saved, and keep tweaking, to get better temps, better voltages, better ram timings etc and keep testing. Just make minor changes to 1 setting and retest. As long as the numbers are climbing, your OC is improving. If the numbers stagnate or go down, try a different setting. If you totally mess up or decide that the OC just isn't worth the temps, you always have the user profile to fall back on. You can make several profiles as wanted, each different.

Welcome to OC.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes and no. For your cpu, depends. Software has preprogrammed variables, it'll try OC at specific frequency, BCLK, voltages etc as it was programmed to do so, in a very generic way. That's the OC Genie or MSI Dragon Center auto OC.

But then there's stuff like Asus Turbo-V which is the most used parts of bios, put into software form, with no automation, you personally set the variables. These don't change bios, they override bios settings like the OS does and you apply them at every boot or not as you choose.

Some have good success using that kind of software to try out an OC and tinker with settings and voltages, but just to get the numbers, then hard code them into bios settings after on a more permanent solution and don't bother running software again as it does use up resources.

Bios is Basic Input/Output System. It's the bones. It can be overridden on a temporary basis but not replaced by software. That's why a bios OC is best, it's permanent and happens prior to software, so isn't subject to all that can go wrong with software, like freezes, driver malfunctions, virus/malware issues, conflicts etc.

Solution