[SOLVED] CPU overclocking utility --- what steps will ensure that my CPU is reversed back to stock completely ?

gabi222

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
So I just finished a new build with a Ryzen 5 3600.
After 1-2 hours I had the silly idea to install Mystic Light (part of an app called MSI Dragon Center) for my motherboard, without doing any temp tests or stability tests etc. Immediately after I noticed that the cpu fan starts ramping up and down every time i do anything, open a browser / explorer, simple stuff like this . Searching for this app, I see many people are complaining about it, saying it does overclock without notifying and many other things.

Now the question, if this application did an overclock or something else, what can I do to be 100 % sure the CPU is at stock speed again? Is a fresh Windows install enough? Loading the optimized defaults in bios? Updating the bios version?

I have no idea what is happening when overclocking is done from Windows, is it done at bios level / cpu level? Do I need to remove the battery to clear the CMOS?

Also maybe it was a coincidence and this cpu is known for doing this, let me know if that's the case, maybe i just didnt noticed it right away and the Dragon Center had nothing to do with how the fan behaves

Help me out please, I want to at least be sure the CPU is operating at a base level, any way i can check this (as a separate question) ?

I know that for a GPU you can alter it for good with an app (I used trixx to setup a rgb scheme and it remained there for more than 2 years), is it the same with the cpu, does it has its own fan scheme or something?

Solution
After 1-2 hours I had the silly idea to install Mystic Light (part of an app called MSI Dragon Center) for my motherboard, without doing any temp tests or stability tests etc. Immediately after I noticed that the cpu fan starts ramping up and down every time i do anything, open a browser / explorer, simple stuff like this . Searching for this app, I see many people are complaining about it, saying it does overclock without notifying and many other things.

Now the question, if this application did an overclock or something else, what can I do to be 100 % sure the CPU is at stock speed again? Is a fresh Windows install enough? Loading the optimized defaults in bios? Updating the...

Now the question, if this application did an overclock or something else, what can I do to be 100 % sure the CPU is at stock speed again? Is a fresh Windows install enough? Loading the optimized defaults in bios? Updating the bios version?

I have no idea what is happening when overclocking is done from Windows, is it done at bios level / cpu level? Do I need to remove the battery to clear the CMOS?

Also maybe it was a coincidence and this cpu is known for doing this, let me know if that's the case, maybe i just didnt noticed it right away and the Dragon Center had nothing to do with how the fan behaves

Help me out please, I want to at least be sure the CPU is operating at a base level, any way i can check this (as a separate question) ?

I know that for a GPU you can alter it for good with an app (I used trixx to setup a rgb scheme and it remained there for more than 2 years), is it the same with the cpu, does it has its own fan scheme or something?
Uninstall Mystic Light and clear CMOS.

You have to set up a custom fan profile to keep fans from pulsing as it's very common with Ryzen processors. The reason is it boosts aggressively to max clocks and each time it does it will spike temperature. If the fan profile closely follows temperature the fans will pulse.

Solution