CPU Overclocking with AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad Core

The Communist Lemon

Commendable
Nov 1, 2016
Hello,

Around eleven months ago I got my first custom built PC. I was going to build it myself but the price difference between building it myself and a custom build was so small I opted for that as I got a warranty for a year. To get to the point, since it came out I have wanted to be able to run Just Cause 3 as I am a huge fan of JC2. However, I have heard from numerous sources that you need to overclock to prevent/widen the bottleneck as I am also using a 4GB GTX 960. I am not too fussed about graphics, AA or ultra high frame rates (I fine 40+ and can just about live with 30, even though I have never been a peasant). My warranty has almost run out so I decided to try overclocking. However I would like to know if I can get to 4GHz with a stock cooler? I do not plan to replace any parts such as my fan. My PC typically runs relatively cool. Would 1.4 volts be enough for this as it is? I know my motherboard is not great for overclocking (It is an ASUS A68HM-PLUS), would this cause too many issues? Also I have tried messing around with disabling turbo core in AMD Overdrive (The BIOS has very little CPU control and I did not seem to be able to change any setting awkwardly) and changing the multiplier and this seems to make my PC go in to a weird mode where tabs have an Win XP feel as the cross button becomes a solid block instead of the Win 7 curve and windows do not re open after minimized until I restart.

Thanks for any help.

Solution
Yes the 860k will bottleneck the GPU (at least in just cause 3) so it could benefit from overclocking
I don't know how hot that cpu runs but I would recommend you to use a 212 evo over the stock cooler for OC'ing since it's cheap and good.

MysteryUser001

Reputable
Mar 7, 2016
Yes the 860k will bottleneck the GPU (at least in just cause 3) so it could benefit from overclocking
I don't know how hot that cpu runs but I would recommend you to use a 212 evo over the stock cooler for OC'ing since it's cheap and good.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS