Question CPU overclocks it self causing massive temps!!

AhmedMG

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016
Hi guys,
So I've had this problem for 3 years till now, but I recently found a clue that might help solve it.
I have a MSI 970 gaming Motherboard with FX-6300 3.5 ghz ( stock cooler ), since the first day I bought this build I've noticed the very high temps of the CPU that could reach even 82°C while gaming, I found out that it was running at 4.0 and 4.2 ghz without overclocking it.
It's no surprise that I had no intention to overclock it ( since I'm still using the stock cooler), but the temps are getting crazy and I have to lower it to be normal at 3.5Ghz again.
Recently I knew that the MSI mb had a feature to OC the CPU automatically for some higher speeds, it's called turbo boost or turbo core .... Something like that.

So any help on how to disable it? Would it really help lower the temps? Would the performance of the CPU become noticbly lower?

Any help would be appreciated ..

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
According to the MSI page for that MB it has OC Genie :
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/970-GAMING.html
OC Genie 4
OC Genie is the world's first built-in hardware overclocking technology on motherboards. With this one-second overclocking option we're giving you even more performance. Just hit the button and your PC gets another adrenalin shot. Delivering up to 20% of free extra performance for the CPU, memory and iGPU.

You can either use the button on the MB labeled OC genie or a setting in the BIOS to enable or disable that feature:

Reactions: NightHawkRMX