[SOLVED] CPU Overheat causes shutdown

Feb 10, 2019
So since around October, I've started having trouble with my CPU. It'd start to overheat, which I've never had troubles with for the 3 years almost 4 years now that I've had my desktop. I used to be able to run multiple softwares on the desktop but with how it'd overheat and shut down on 80C I've had to close down on the usage of how many softwares.

In some cases I could be chatting with friends through Discord. Whilst listening to music on Google Chrome and have some kind of game running as well. But now if I wanted to play with friends, I've had to close down Chrome, meaning I can't listen to the music I'd like to, or talk to my friends through Discord on my desktop. I've had to often use the mobile version and talk through there instead.

I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how one can keep it cooler? It sits on an average between 45C to 60C unless I start running certain softwares. I've had to open windows and turn on an extra fan in my room, causing it to be chilly during the winter just to be able to do anything. I also got a total of 4 case fans running and the CPU heatsink fan. I've changed out the CPU glue that one puts on it and still didn't do anything. My desktop runs using a AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor and an ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo. Along with an GeForce GTX 960 graphics card.

Solution
Removing the case covers and directing a house fan at the innards assures the cpu cooler of getting sufficient air to do i's job.
Also, it insures that the motherboard(you have a very good one) vrm's get sufficiently cooled.

What is the cpu cooler you are using?
It should be better than the stock cooler.

When you remounted, did you use too much paste?
A small rice sized drop in the center is sufficient.
Too much paste will act as an insulator.
Also insure that the cooler is mounted level by tightening diagonal pairs of clamps.
Your processor is a hot one and needs good cooling.
Possibly your paste has gone bad or the cooler has become dislodged.
Possibly dust has accumulated in the cooler.
I think it is time to remount the cooler.

In the mean time, take the case covers off and see if that helps.

Feb 10, 2019

Do you mean like re-mounting the heatsink? That has already been tried unfortunately.

I've changed out the paste before and my brother who uses the same one said it should work fine. I regularly clean it for dust and I also have tried to remount the cooler to no avail. Would taking the case covers off help it in any way?

Removing the case covers and directing a house fan at the innards assures the cpu cooler of getting sufficient air to do i's job.
Also, it insures that the motherboard(you have a very good one) vrm's get sufficiently cooled.

What is the cpu cooler you are using?
It should be better than the stock cooler.

When you remounted, did you use too much paste?
A small rice sized drop in the center is sufficient.
Too much paste will act as an insulator.
Also insure that the cooler is mounted level by tightening diagonal pairs of clamps.

Solution