[SOLVED] CPU Overheat + Corsair H100i v1: ("CPU Fan Error" + "CPU Over Temperature Error”)

Jul 4, 2021
I have a 6-year-old, self-built, AIO water cooled PC (specs below) that for various reasons has only been in regular use for the past 3 years. For those last 3 years, there has been no change in configuration and things have been running smoothly (successful stress test done a year ago). Two days ago, I received a "CPU Fan Error" and “CPU Over Temperature Error” on bootup and on subsequent examination, the CPU was found to be running consistently at 99-100 C at idle (rapid linear increase).

SPECS:

Cooling (liquid): Corsair H100i v1
CPU: Intel i7-4770K
MoBo: Asus Maximus VI Formula
PSU: Corsair HX1000
Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540

From my reading, the possible reasons for this "CPU fan error and overheat" could be:
a) Cable connection issues (to the PSU and/or motherboard)
b) Thermal paste has dried up
c) Poor seating of CPU cooler and/or dust clogged exhaust fans
d) Failure of the AIO water cooler

What I did:

A) Cable Connection Issues: Since the configuration has not changed and the computer has been running smoothly till now, I assume that this cannot be the issue. In any case, all connections were found to be secure (including the three pin "CPU_fan") and I even changed the SATA connection to the PSU with no improvement.

B) Thermal Paste Drying: Old thermal paste was removed and replaced with fresh paste

C) Poor Seating or Clogged Fans: Seating was confirmed to be solid; exhaust fans (horizontal, located at the top of the case) are visibly working and dust free. Mild vibration in pipes is felt.

D) Failure of AIO Water-cooling: When the status of the H100i was checked using Corsair's Link application (screenshot included), it showed coolant temperature at 70-80 C (on average), pump fan speed at around 2500 rpm and exhaust fan speed at around 2700 rpm.

After all this, I still am receiving the same errors.

So, my question is how should I proceed? Everything seems to be working! Despite this, the CPU is not being cooled.

A) Cables seem secure.

B) Thermal paste has been replaced.

C) Despite the CPU fan error thrown up, the Link software shows both the pump fan and exhaust fans are running. In addition, the high temperature of the coolant would seem to indicate that it is taking up the heat from the CPU. Is it sufficient to say the water cooler is working because the fans are working? Could the fans be working and the water cooler still not doing its job? Any way to check that?

D) Additional Question: The CPU is currently running at 100 C at idle/minimum load, as soon as Windows loads. Is that solely because of the lack of heat removal or could the CPU itself be at fault? Shouldn't a CPU at idle run at a much lower temperature even in the absence of cooling?

Finally, where can I find the fan settings in BIOS? I cannot seem to locate them.

I do not want to buy a new CPU cooler only to find out the problem is something else since the refund/return policy where I am is non-existent. Any help is appreciated. If any other information is required, I will try my best to provide it. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Solution
6 years was a good run. Time to toss it.
You can't take everything the software tells you to heart; it does not see everything.

Mechanical, biological, chemical... one of these 3 failures inevitably claim AIO/CLC coolers.
For as long as you've had it, that's around when the corrosion inhibitors and biocides in these units expire.

There's also the fact that the fluid does permeate the tubes over time... so consider how the unit is mounted inside the chassis.

In addition, the high temperature of the coolant would seem to indicate that it is taking up the heat from the CPU.
No, it doesn't mean that at all.
Instead, it means that the liquid flow is restricted or completely blocked.

Is it sufficient to say the water cooler is...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You can't take everything the software tells you to heart; it does not see everything.

Mechanical, biological, chemical... one of these 3 failures inevitably claim AIO/CLC coolers.
For as long as you've had it, that's around when the corrosion inhibitors and biocides in these units expire.

There's also the fact that the fluid does permeate the tubes over time... so consider how the unit is mounted inside the chassis.

In addition, the high temperature of the coolant would seem to indicate that it is taking up the heat from the CPU.

Is it sufficient to say the water cooler is working because the fans are working?
Also no. The pump and liquid flow are more important.

Any way to check that?
Feel both tubes while the PC is running. They should feel about the same. If not, the problem lies in the liquid flow, for reasons already mentioned above.

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 4, 2021
Phaaze88, thanks for the detailed reply.

Also no. The pump and liquid flow are more important.

Both points are noted.

Feel both tubes while the PC is running. They should feel about the same. If not, the problem lies in the liquid flow, for reasons already mentioned above.

Did as you suggested and there seems to be a difference between the two tubes where they connect to the pump but this could just be my perception.

Am okay with this, just wanted to make sure that it was a cooler problem. Most likely the new one will be an air-cooler (NH-D15 chromax black?). I just need to be (fairly) sure.

Again, thanks for the input.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No problem.

Did as you suggested and there seems to be a difference between the two tubes where they connect to the pump but this could just be my perception.
Ok, so confirmed liquid flow problem - could be gunk right there in the pump head.

Just checking: How is the radiator mounted in the chassis?
At the top?
At the front, with the radiator inlet/outlet at the top?
At the front, with the radiator inlet/outlet at the bottom?