CPU Overheat Problem

John Galan

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
My CPU reads 109 degrees Fahrenheit when my PC is idling. This overheat is causing my PC to shut off without command. I have an intel i5 quad core 3.4 MHz processor. This problem occurred just this morning. I had something download overnight, and in the morning I played for about 3 hours and it shut off on me. I left it alone for about 4 hours to let it cool, and it's still giving me the same problem. I have 1 separate chassis fan, and one fan that came with the processor. When I start up the PC, I hear the processor fan speed up in an instant. It makes some noise, and my set up never usually makes any noise. Another problem that may have cause this is that when I installed the CPU, I smudged the thermal paste a little, but I think it's negligible. I also only use the PC during the weekends.
If anybody could help me with this problem, it would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Sounds like the heatsink/fan on the CPU (CPU cooler) came loose. Try removing the heatsink and fan and cleaning it up, add new thermal paste and reinstall/reseat it.
109F is not very warm, so there might be some error in the software or sensor that is reporting the temperature.
The symptoms you describe sound like a heat problem, so give the reseating a try.
Here's a link to cleaning and reinstalling your cooler, though it sound like you know how to do that already. Just be sure to use a small drop of Thermal Paste, about the size of a BB or grain of rice, right in the center of your CPU; don't spread the paste. (The tutorial shows a strip of paste: easy to get too much that way.)...
Sounds like the heatsink/fan on the CPU (CPU cooler) came loose. Try removing the heatsink and fan and cleaning it up, add new thermal paste and reinstall/reseat it.
109F is not very warm, so there might be some error in the software or sensor that is reporting the temperature.
The symptoms you describe sound like a heat problem, so give the reseating a try.
Here's a link to cleaning and reinstalling your cooler, though it sound like you know how to do that already. Just be sure to use a small drop of Thermal Paste, about the size of a BB or grain of rice, right in the center of your CPU; don't spread the paste. (The tutorial shows a strip of paste: easy to get too much that way.)
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/333968-28-thermal-paste-removal-installation-guide

Solution

John Galan

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
I applied a new coat of thermal paste, but my problem is still prevalent. The computer usually shuts off when I start a game, and my PC can handle the games. Thanks for your help though