CPU Overheat without thermal paste

marceljagielko

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
I recently purchased a new Cpu, an intel core 2 quad q9550. I installed it into the computer, but I forgot to put in the fan + heat sink with thermal paste. I turned on the computer, and it ran fine for about 20 seconds, then it shut off. I turned it on again, and then the same thing happened. Later on, I noticed some light gray marks on the TOP of the cpu (not the bottom, which looks fine) Did I permanently damage the processor? Again, it only ran for two 20-30 second intervals, although the I ran it again right after it shut down. Finally, I was able to wipe off the gray marks. I'm worrying that this is a sign of permanent damage. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

Solution
Permanent damage? Probably not. It probably shut itself down to prevent exactly that.

But do not turn it on again without a proper application of thermal paste between the CPU and cooler.
I agree with USAFRet that the chance of damage is low. The Core 2 systems usually had a thermal shut down point to try to prevent over heating damage. Thermal paste is cheap and able to picked up from multiple places so wait 1 day till the 26th and run out and get some. It is very important to have it to keep the CPU cool or it will shut down and/or cause damage if you keep turning it on with out thermal paste and the cooler.

Good luck and use the TIM and cooler.