fata.zip

Reputable
Jul 19, 2019
Hey guys, so today something weird happened, I turned on my PC and then it stuck on the motherboard screen, after a few restarts, it finally able to enter the desktop, but it's very laggy even for moving a cursor. When I checked up the GPU-Z turns out my processor is overheating because the cooler isn't working properly, my processor reached 100°C at that point. I immediately turned off the PC and changed the CPU cooler and everything went back to normal. But when I played some games, I experienced stuttering, even on light games like Valorant and CSGO. Is it possible that the processor is somehow damaged because of the overheating?

Here are my PC specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
RX 580 8GB
16GB RAM @2666MHz

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
Hey guys, so today something weird happened, I turned on my PC and then it stuck on the motherboard screen, after a few restarts, it finally able to enter the desktop, but it's very laggy even for moving a cursor. When I checked up the GPU-Z turns out my processor is overheating because the cooler isn't working properly, my processor reached 100°C at that point. I immediately turned off the PC and changed the CPU cooler and everything went back to normal. But when I played some games, I experienced some stuttering, even on light games like Valorant and CSGO. Is it possible that the processor is somehow damaged because of the overheating?

Here are my PC specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
RX 580 8GB
16GB RAM @2666MHz

Thanks in advance.
I'm...

Andreas_42

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
its not very likely that your cpu is damaged by overheating since it wasnt for long but you never know, that might be the issue, i used to have some stutters on my AMD gpu before but i got it fixed by going into windows settings/ system/ display options then scroll down and click on graphics settings where u can then click and look for the .EXE files for the games u play, it helped with holding a much more stable mhz clockspeed on my gpu.
test that and see if u atleast have less stuttering
Do note that i only know that this works on Windows 10

Hey guys, so today something weird happened, I turned on my PC and then it stuck on the motherboard screen, after a few restarts, it finally able to enter the desktop, but it's very laggy even for moving a cursor. When I checked up the GPU-Z turns out my processor is overheating because the cooler isn't working properly, my processor reached 100°C at that point. I immediately turned off the PC and changed the CPU cooler and everything went back to normal. But when I played some games, I experienced some stuttering, even on light games like Valorant and CSGO. Is it possible that the processor is somehow damaged because of the overheating?

Here are my PC specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
RX 580 8GB
16GB RAM @2666MHz

Thanks in advance.
I'm curious to know what cooler you were using that let it get that hot.

FWIW...the CPU has a Tjmax of 95C, whereupon it's supposed to throttle itself way back so it's probably what it was doing based on the jerky/laggy display. But at something like 115C it has a thermal trip where it just shuts down immediately. It doesn't sound like you reached that point so I'd not be worried it sustained any damage. It probably shaved a few months off it's life at most, so you'll be shopping for a new system in 19 1/2 years instead of 20 now. bummer.

Solution

fata.zip

Reputable
Jul 19, 2019
I'm curious to know what cooler you were using that let it get that hot.

FWIW...the CPU has a Tjmax of 95C, whereupon it's supposed to throttle itself way back so it's probably what it was doing based on the jerky/laggy display. But at something like 115C it has a thermal trip where it just shuts down immediately. It doesn't sound like you reached that point so I'd not be worried it sustained any damage. It probably shaved a few months off it's life at most, so you'll be shopping for a new system in 19 1/2 years instead of 20 now. bummer.
I was using Cooler Master Liquid Lite 120 and my guess is the cooler isn't working properly anymore therefore the CPU gets so hot. I replaced it with AMD stock cooler for now.

I was using Cooler Master Liquid Lite 120 and my guess is the cooler isn't working properly anymore therefore the CPU gets so hot. I replaced it with AMD stock cooler for now.
Yeah...wow...a 120mm AIO was never all that good. Simply not enough liquid capacity to absorb heat even when brand new, and not enough radiator fins to discard it either. So if it's getting old with much of the liquid evaporated off and crud coating the water block fins it's only worse.

The stock cooler's OK, just a bit loud when it's working hard. At least it's safe until the budget allows. Lots of really good air coolers now-a-days, and just as whisper quiet as a good 240mm AIO.

fata.zip

Reputable
Jul 19, 2019
Yeah...wow...a 120mm AIO was never all that good. Simply not enough liquid capacity to absorb heat even when brand new, and not enough radiator fins to discard it either. So if it's getting old with much of the liquid evaporated off and crud coating the water block fins it's only worse.

The stock cooler's OK, just a bit loud when it's working hard. At least it's safe until the budget allows. Lots of really good air coolers now-a-days, and just as whisper quiet as a good 240mm AIO.
Yeah, the stock cooler is quite decent, but I think I'm gonna grab an aftermarket air cooler as soon as I can because the idle temp with the stock cooler isn't so good. I got around 30-40°C idle temp when the AIO is still working properly but now with the stock cooler I got 50-65°C idle temp, and sometimes reached 70°C (my room temperature is about 29-31°C).

Yeah, the stock cooler is quite decent, but I think I'm gonna grab an aftermarket air cooler as soon as I can because the idle temp with the stock cooler isn't so good. I got around 30-40°C idle temp when the AIO is still working properly but now with the stock cooler I got 50-65°C idle temp, and sometimes reached 70°C (my room temperature is about 29-31°C).
Don't worry too much about 'idle' air temps on Ryzen CPU's. They boost aggressively at every little task and Windows has lots of them at 'idle'. But keeping it cooler as it works harder is almost like overclocking since they also pull back on the steady-state clocks as it heats up. That's where a really good cooler helps!

If the stock cooler pulses with the spikes, though, you can at least calm it down by setting a custom fan profile to limit that. I keep fan speed steady at a bearable speed up to around 65-70C before ramping up from there.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I don't like small AIO's go big or stick with air. Air coolers are GREAT these days and affordable. 60 bucks for a FUMA 2. is really a great value.

The cryorig, noctua, fuma larger air coolers do great. I think The best value today is the FUMA 2 (that can change), but at 59.99 for brand new. if you can find a used one its even cheaper!!

Reactions: fata.zip

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Really not all that much difference between the stock cooler and a 120mm AIO. That goes for most of the budget coolers too, like the CM Hyper212 series, they are all around the same wattage capacity.

What is different is the efficiency, a 120mm fan is more effective than the 92mm fan, so you will get plenty of noise difference with the faster spinning AMD fan.

Bigger does not always mean better, especially when dealing with lower wattage outputs. The Noctua NH-U12S is no different in size to most other 120mm towers, yet it's efficiency is off the charts in comparison, getting better temps than it's big brother the NH-D15 on the low wattage Ryzens/Intels.

What you replace the stock cooler with is often more important than with what. I prefer liquid cooling, but I'd take a U12S or a U12A over most 240mm AIO's, the bigger capacity of the 240mm being next to meaningless vs the sheer efficiency of the smaller Noctuas for such a low relative wattage output of a 65w Ryzen.

... I prefer liquid cooling, but I'd take a U12S or a U12A over most 240mm AIO's, ...

BeQuiet also makes some very good air coolers. I'm interested in their Shadow Rock 3 in particular to replace my aging 240mm aio. It matched or came within 2 degrees performance of the U12S at almost half the price...even cheaper against the chromax.black version.

It was also much quieter in operation (by measurement, of course, as qualitatively an average person couldn't tell the difference). That's what surprised me. I think that's because it uses large surface area fins, but a much less dense fin stack. Less back pressure would allow better air flow even at very low fan speeds. The downside is it doesn't appear mounting a second fan is possible, but it may not really be advantageous as it is for the U12A.

Really, though, the thing to remember is there are a lot of good coolers in the 120mm fan size range. So if the price tag for a Noctua is daunting, keep looking. And also keep in mind that at the level of performance we're seeing now, differences are minor so getting the 'best' means you might be paying a premium for a 1 or 2 degree margin you'd never appreciate.

Last edited:

fata.zip

Reputable
Jul 19, 2019
I don't like small AIO's go big or stick with air. Air coolers are GREAT these days and affordable. 60 bucks for a FUMA 2. is really a great value.

The cryorig, noctua, fuma larger air coolers do great. I think The best value today is the FUMA 2 (that can change), but at 59.99 for brand new. if you can find a used one its even cheaper!!
Yeah, to be honest, I bought the AIO just for the aesthetic, I don't know what's exactly happening that my AIO gets broken in just 2 years of use. But right now i just got the Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 and so far so good, the idle temp is far more cooler than the stock one. Hopefully it will last long!