Question CPU overheat

Jun 23, 2022
I have a Acer Nitro 5 with i5 11400H and RTX 3050 and thing is I think my i5 is bottlenecking my RTX a bit causing my CPU load to be higher if I don't use high settings in game. Is there any way to cool my CPU temp? Its reaching around 85°C and I'm already using a laptop cooling pad. I bought this around 6-7 months ago does it need a repaste?

KyaraM

Admirable
I have a Acer Nitro 5 with i5 11400H and RTX 3050 and thing is I think my i5 is bottlenecking my RTX a bit causing my CPU load to be higher if I don't use high settings in game. Is there any way to cool my CPU temp? Its reaching around 85°C and I'm already using a laptop cooling pad. I bought this around 6-7 months ago does it need a repaste?
So, just for understanding. You are playing on low settings and I presume also low resolution, is that correct? Did you test on high settings instead? Also, does the CPU reach 100%, or close to that, on all cores?

Two reasons I ask. On low resolutions and low settings, the more important factor is the CPU, which is calculating the frames. The GPU becomes less important since it only essentially creates the pictures and makes things look pretty, but the heavy-lifting here is done by the CPU at lower resolutions. It won't have to do much work at low resolutions and settings because things like textures aren't so demanding, and usually you have less objects on screen as well for higher processing power.

That will usually flip when you instead go higher settings, and even more when you also go higher resolution. Here, the GPU will usually become the limiting factor since now it has to work harder due to having to render more objects, make them sharper, etc. If you want, here are two articles about the topic:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/read-cpu-benchmarks.html

So in other words, what you are seeing is the actual performance of your CPU, but not of your GPU, and as outlined above, that's completely normal and inly a cause of worry if it cases stuttering. It will happen even with the strongest of GPUs. That's why CPUs are generally tested that way after all.

Also, 85°C in a laptop is fully normal and okay, they are made with high temperatures in mind and can bear them. No reason to worry at all.

Edit:
Here is a discussion about the gaming laptop I use when on work travel.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/f7iwgc/ryzen_5_3550h_normal_gaming_temperature/

as you can see, people in there reach even higher temps. It's normal. Same with my own.

Jun 23, 2022
So, just for understanding. You are playing on low settings and I presume also low resolution, is that correct? Did you test on high settings instead? Also, does the CPU reach 100%, or close to that, on all cores?

Two reasons I ask. On low resolutions and low settings, the more important factor is the CPU, which is calculating the frames. The GPU becomes less important since it only essentially creates the pictures and makes things look pretty, but the heavy-lifting here is done by the CPU at lower resolutions. It won't have to do much work at low resolutions and settings because things like textures aren't so demanding, and usually you have less objects on screen as well for higher processing power.

That will usually flip when you instead go higher settings, and even more when you also go higher resolution. Here, the GPU will usually become the limiting factor since now it has to work harder due to having to render more objects, make them sharper, etc. If you want, here are two articles about the topic:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/read-cpu-benchmarks.html

So in other words, what you are seeing is the actual performance of your CPU, but not of your GPU, and as outlined above, that's completely normal and inly a cause of worry if it cases stuttering. It will happen even with the strongest of GPUs. That's why CPUs are generally tested that way after all.

Also, 85°C in a laptop is fully normal and okay, they are made with high temperatures in mind and can bear them. No reason to worry at all.

Edit:
Here is a discussion about the gaming laptop I use when on work travel.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/f7iwgc/ryzen_5_3550h_normal_gaming_temperature/

as you can see, people in there reach even higher temps. It's normal. Same with my own.
Alright thanks.