Question CPU overheated. Is it fried?

Dec 26, 2019
My son wanted a computer upgrade to allow him to play Warframe (and Minecraft) at maximum graphics settings. We put together a budget gaming system with the following parts:

Gigabyte A320M-S2H mobo
AMD Ryzen 3 1200 with Wraith Stealth Cooler (thermal paste factory applied)
EVGA 600W PSU bronze certified (2 years old)
Teamgroup 512GB SSD
Patriot 8GB PC 4 2666Mhz RAM
Windows 10 Home
XFX Radeon RX570 4GB GDDR5 GPU
Rosewill mid tower

It went together well and booted on the first attempt. Windows 10 installed easily, and everything seemed good. When my son played Warframe, it ran at 60 fps on maximum graphics settings, and he was happy. Note: There are only 2 fan headers on the computer, and we connected the CPU fan and the rear case fan. The two front fans aren't connected yet, because I had to order a fan splitter.

Last week, he decided to install and play Apex Legends. The graphics don't look as intense as Warframe, but this caused the CPU and GPU fans to kick into overdrive. It seemed to play well at 60 fps, but was clearly getting hot, as the air coming out of the back of the case was warm. After 3 days of playing Apex for several hours at a time, the computer suddenly shut down. He was able to power it on after it cooled down, but it has begun shutting off randomly. It happens when he is playing Warframe, on the internet, or even when it is sitting idle. Is the CPU damaged, or should I look at something else? The CPU is currently at 30C, and it shut off.

Is the CPU damaged, or should I look at other parts? BTW, If I have to replace the CPU, we will likely use a Ryzen 5 2600.

Thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like the power supply. CPU won't be shutting itself down at 30C. 12V, 5V, and 3.3V reporting appropriate values in the BIOS?

Any motherboard temperatures going over 100C? That would be the only other thing. A320 chipset is a budget one, not really intended for long gaming sessions. No heat sinks on the VRMs. If you point a box fan at it and it stops shutting itself down, probably the motherboard. Shop for a B450, and maybe the 2600 at the same time.

I highly suggest getting those intake fans up and running as well. Should help with the VRMs even if they aren't overheating.

Dec 26, 2019
I figured a quality power supply was relatively bulletproof. I will have to check the BIOS values tonight. My son doesn't want to get into that aspect of the computer.

Currently the highest temp is at 50C (per an app he installed today). It would be easy to add some heatsinks to the VRM if it would help. I'll replace the motherboard and CPU as a last resort.

The fan splitter is supposed to arrive today. I'll install that ASAP.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
EVGA 600W Bronze isn't necessarily 'quality'. They have several models that fit that description and one of them isn't particularly great.

If this is the B2 or B3 series, should be relatively good. If it is the BR models, probably a cheap group regulated supply. Not 100% sure on the BQ or BT models either, would have to find reviews.

If you have access to another power supply, worth testing. Average voltage output isn't super definitive with a power supply. Really need an oscilloscope to measure things like ripple and other nasties.

Dec 26, 2019
The computer gave a Kernel power 41 error, and I fixed it by changing the power settings to never shut off the hard drive (it is a SSD). It hasn't shut off since. We'll be keeping an eye on it, and my son won't be playing Apex.

Did the installed fans not already have a molex adapter to use power directly from the power supply to the fans?
Thank you. SMH As my wife always says, I like doing things the hard way. I now have the front case fans connected to the power supply.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions from everyone.

my concern for you would be CPU temps and thermals for the entire system. you can monitor cpu temps with RYZEN MASTER software, if you are in the high 80's- 90's Celcius that is not good and further use can cause major issues. anybody who is gaming should always be keeping an eye on your temps. there are several tutorials on youtube on how to do that

Dec 26, 2019
The CPU is hitting 50C maximum now that the front case fans are connected. Two intakea in front, one exhaust in the rear near the CPU cooler fan. My son is also avoiding Apex Legends. I may have him play it again to see what it does while monitoring the CPU temps.