CPU overheating (70C-80C) under stress even with liquid cooling

billywhiz10

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
I noticed while playing far cry 5 that my cpu (i7-7740X) was badly overheating even though I have a corsair h100i v2 installed which has thus far been amazing. I then played arma 3 and it also went above 70C. I have no idea why it is overheating and will change the paste and configuration (changing to pull-push) soon but i doubt that will make more than ~5C difference which isn't enough to take it back to normal temperatures under stress. Any help or general ideas as to why this is happening would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. other temperatures across the pc such as GPU are all as expected under stress (40C on most MB readings and 70C max on GPU)

Solution
the AIO solutions will warm up a bit over time as their fluid supply warms up, leading to slightly elevated temps overall vs. a large air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15. As long as there is no 'thermal runaway' over a 1 hour period, I"d not worry about it, and, 70-75C is manageable under heavy load, albeit not 'stellar'.

(Perhaps you can find a 7900X on sale one day?) :)
70C is not really overheating for a KabyLakeX-basedCPU is running at 4.6 GHz or so, as the 7740X is essentially a slightly OC'd 7700K with a disabled GPU...

Perhaps, like BF1, FC5 is a rather CPU intensive load....?

Is your CPU at stock clocks (4.3 GHz base, 4.6 GHz turbo), or is it running higher than stock core voltages/clock speeds?

billywhiz10

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

its at stock clockspeed. i did another check earlier today and this time it was between 75C and 80C after only 1 hour of playing.

biggames0101

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016

These temps are all normal (below 80C is considered "warm" (normal under 80-90% load) and above is considered "hot" (normal under 100% load). They are EXPECTED when running anything CPU-intensive, even a light/GPU-intensive game will produce ~60-70C of heat.. These temps would NOT be normal on an i3 or i5, however on an i7-7740X they are completely normal.

the AIO solutions will warm up a bit over time as their fluid supply warms up, leading to slightly elevated temps overall vs. a large air cooler like the Noctua NH-D15. As long as there is no 'thermal runaway' over a 1 hour period, I"d not worry about it, and, 70-75C is manageable under heavy load, albeit not 'stellar'.

(Perhaps you can find a 7900X on sale one day?) :)

Solution

billywhiz10

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

I wish :D

billywhiz10

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

Thanks for the info. I'll just keep an eye on it and if it goes above 80C i'll have to tone down the settings even if i don't want to :(

What MoBo are you using and what paste did you use to attach the AIO LC? Also, is your case in a constrained space or with little access to fresh air? What about the AIO fans? Are they sucking or pushing air from/to the outside?

Cheers!