[SOLVED] CPU overheating 7700k

Mar 14, 2020
So recently I decided to change my thermal paste because my old one was sitting there for about 2 years and I have removed the heatsink multiple times and put it back on the CPU with the same thermal paste, and it was very low-quality one too and it was almost dry so I decided to change it. Before the temps were bearable, 4,6ghz clock on my i7 7700k when gaming they hit up to 85 but no more than that (and when gaming I mean it showed it was under 95% ~100% load in battlefield 5).

After taking off the heatsink and cleaning off the old thermal paste with paper towels and rubbing alcohol (it was 99% alcohol and I made sure to wait until it dried out if any was left on the CPU or heatsink) I completely removed the old thermal paste (it was hideous all almost dried out and was spread only in the middle of the CPU not cover it all. I didn't apply it some local shops assembled the pc for me and didn't even ask about the thermal paste and since I knew nothing about the computer back then I just left it to them.)

After applying a new thermal paste (its arctic MX-4 should be decent) and I made sure to apply the proper amount, I applied a dot about 2-3mm in diameter and squashed it with the heatsink so it will spread out. There were no spillovers or anything. The CPU cooler is Cooler Master Hyper 103 (should be decent enough I think). But after launching Aida my CPU started hitting up to 95 degrees and in bf 5 is started hitting like 92 degrees.

I opened my pc once again to check maybe if I forgot to plug in the CPU cooler fan (happened to me before lol) but no it was working and at almost max rpm even when idling (it was idling at 45 degrees too which is pretty high.) I even tried cleaning off the thermal paste and reapplying it like 2 times but temps didn't change at all, only got higher, and now I'm hitting 97 degrees AT 4.5GHZ CLOCK IN BF5. All I can think of is now to try and delid the CPU since I heard 7700k has cheap thermal paste inside and it's better to change it to liquid metal.

Other specs:
CPU i7 7700k
Cooler Master Hyper 103 CPU cooler
Gigabyte GTX 1080 8gb
16gb 2133 HyperX ram
860 Samsung SSD (a very old one, been through 2 laptops and in another pc, now it is in my pc)
Some awfully slow 1tb HDD (can't remember what models it is)
I'm running windows 10 and Overclocked my CPU using presets in bios

Solution
Maii,

The Cooler Master Hyper 103 is a 92mm fan class 3 pipe cooler which clearly is inadequate for a 7700K. Moreover, as Cooler Master does not provide a TDP specification, it most likely is less than 125 Watts. However, it does has a backplate for secure attachment.

The Thermaltake Contac Silent 12 is a 120mm fan class 4 pipe cooler at 150 Watts TDP, but has push-pins which are inferior and problematic attachment hardware.

The Thermaltake Frio Silent 14 is a 140mm fan class 3 pipe cooler at 165 Watts TDP, which is more quiet and has a backplate for secure attachment.

Of your 2 choices for coolers that are locally...
Mar 14, 2020
Also forgot to mention I have some 800w Thermaltake PSU that is not 80+ rated at all
And I have 1 intake fan in the front and one exhaust fan in the back both I think are 120mm but my case is not that small so they may not be enough
And the mobo is gigabyte gaming 3 rev 1.1

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
give us time to read before first you did remove cooler multiple time before without repasthing that is not good for cpu the fan goes at high speed because it try to cool cpu so check if this one is well fix on the board and not moving when fans speed up also use hwifo and report all sensor readings here you might need to get a better cooler for the overclock and fans in the case for air flow .

Mar 14, 2020
give us time to read before first you did remove cooler multiple time before without repasthing that is not good for cpu the fan goes at high speed because it try to cool cpu so check if this one is well fix on the board and not moving when fans speed up also use hwifo and report all sensor readings here you might need to get a better cooler for the overclock and fans in the case for air flow .
I checked, the heatsink and the fan are sitting fixated, they do not shake or move on the board, fan readings show that even when idling cpu fan is around 1900rpm usually more like 2000 rpm and when playing its at max rpm which is like 2500rpm. When testing using AIDA, the temperature immediately jumps to 100 degrees on core 1 and other cores (0 2 and 3) slowly rise up and hit like 92 or 93 degrees max. like i said i have only 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan in my case, i cant try to fit 1 more of each but that will be hard since the case is big but it has almost no empty places to put the fans. CPU cooler is Hyper 103 and as i have read its not good and doesnt even have a tdp rating so i think i should change it to smth like thermaltake frio silent 14/12 or contac silent 12/21 or d400p. Those are the only coolers that i can buy, others are just not sold where i live, there is also a thermaltake riing silent pro 12 which is overkill for my cpu i think and its pretty expensive. The only thing i can think of is to delid my cpu.

Mar 14, 2020
could you give the link for your case and where you could get the fans .
Well about the fans since i live in a third world country no one heard of, amazon doesnt deliver here, just like any other online stores so i just went to a local computer shops and asked there about the fans. About the case it looks like Thermaltake Versa but i couldnt find the exact model. It has a small plastic window looking on the motherboard and it also has a slot on the side panel under the window, the slot for another fan.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Maii,

The Cooler Master Hyper 103 is a 92mm fan class 3 pipe cooler which clearly is inadequate for a 7700K. Moreover, as Cooler Master does not provide a TDP specification, it most likely is less than 125 Watts. However, it does has a backplate for secure attachment.

The Thermaltake Contac Silent 12 is a 120mm fan class 4 pipe cooler at 150 Watts TDP, but has push-pins which are inferior and problematic attachment hardware.

The Thermaltake Frio Silent 14 is a 140mm fan class 3 pipe cooler at 165 Watts TDP, which is more quiet and has a backplate for secure attachment.

Of your 2 choices for coolers that are locally available, although it's priced a bit higher, I recommend that you purchase the Thermaltake Frio Silent 14.

CT:sol:

Solution
Mar 14, 2020
Maii,

Of your 2 choices for coolers that are locally available, although it's priced a bit higher, I recommend that you purchase the Thermaltake Frio Silent 14.

CT:sol:
Hey thanks for the advice, I have found a used evga 280mm water cooler and i think i will go for it instead of the frio silent since it will be much better and only a bit more expensive. Plus i have found some liquid metal so i will delid my cpu and change the cheap intel thermal paste for the liquid metal thanks for the advice.

The cooler in question is but a medium size single stack cooler, with a single fan.....

One should not expect the temps to remotely equal those of an NH-D15....

You can lower core voltages, and/or clock speed until you get the temps you wish, or, get a better cooler.