CPU Overheating 80c

Emily_30

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Hello,
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition shot up to 83C while idle and PC shut it's self down. I got it hooked to a GA 990 FXA UB3 R5.
It's been overheating since I got it. There's NO bent pins. I am pretty sure it's seated right. Using Arctic Silver 5 (didn't add too much or too little).
System temp is at 28C-35C.
I have two exhaust fans and one intake.My room isn't warm. I am out of ideas. Faulty processor? Should I get a new one? I see no reason as to why it's over heating so fast.

83 ON IDLE??? that's insanely high...

Are you using the stock heatsink?

AMD "Wraith" seems special and cool, but it sucks just as good as about every other stock cooler. Cryorig's CPU coolers are really nice, if you wanna spend money on a nice one.

I advise you buy a new cooler and some Arctic Silver MX-4 (that's my go-to thermal paste for fans, just preference) and see what it does.

As for other general system cooling things ;
If you can, find extra places to move one exhaust fan to intake.
Make sure your PC's air vents are away from walls that block it.

I don't know how well this will solve your temperature issues. But it's worth a shot if you have $40...

Emily_30

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

Yeah, I really don't know. I can't fit any more fans because my RAM slots are too high up. The weird thing is, it was climbing since the moment it comes on. So when I monitoring it, it was 75 and kept on climbing. So it's like it's not even trying to cool off. The cooling fan isn't doing anything. I mean it's on but it can't cool it!

Emily_30

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

There isn't really a way to RE do it. I've redone the paste three times. I have the intake fan at the front. An exhaust in back and exhaust at the top.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A faulty CPU is a possibility, but generally they just don't work, rather then overheat at idle. (Though I do have an Athlon T-Bird in a drawer that does precisely that)

The cooler may just not be seated correctly or is damaged. Is the heatsink hot to the touch?

Arctic MX-4 is not to be confused with Arctic Silver 5 they are different companies (No such thing as Arctic Silver MX-4). AS5 has a long curing time and does contain silver particles. If that stuff gets on other things like CPU pins, it really has to be removed before switching the system on. MX-4 is non-conductive and is basically ready to go as soon as it is installed.

Emily_30

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

As of yesterday I tried to have it seated so the lock was pointing up. However that made it almost impossible to unlock the processor. I fear if I try to do that again, if it does t work I won't be able to remove it at all. Those two. Metal pieces that fasten it on too way too much force to get off. That was a concern I had.

Emily_30

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

Also the heat sink is more that hot. I've burnt myself on my processor more than once even after letting it sit for a few minutes to cool.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, it should take a bit of force to install, but not a scary amount. I wonder if the cooler is warped and is only making partial contact with the CPU. Though your report of the cooler itself being overly hot does lead us back to a faulty processor or motherboard.

If you don't have someone else to look at it nearby, I suggest a PC repair shop. Unless you feel like buying replacement components to try and solve the problem, might take a while. Or it could be time to consider replacing the CPU/Motherboard/Ram.

Emily_30

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

From what you said this makes me think the CPU is faulty. I had tried this processor on a different mobo and it was overheating then too.

That is more than likely your answer. Had you mentioned that earlier, might have saved some time :)

Emily_30

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

However I'm still confused how it should be properly seated. I tried searching for it and had no luck. Should the plastic lock be up or down?
It fits both ways but one way was way harder. Seems the easier one would be the right way but I could be wrong.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The easier direction is probably correct. Still better then stabbing a screw driver into the heart of the computer like in the old days. Not a big fan of Intel's or AMD stock mounting, though AMD makes some pretty darn good 125W coolers, almost want to buy a wraith cooler and see how it goes.

Emily_30

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

I don't wanna put it in wrong and mess it up haha.

Wraith is really freakin loud, I have to listen to my brother's drone on all the time. Hyper 212 EVO is quieter and better imo