CPU overheating after changing cooler

jeff09

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
So I had intel stock cooler, and I wanted to change it. I got a alpine 11 gt cooler, I removed the stock cooler, replaced the thermal paste and placed the new cooler with new thermal paste, now when I start my pc, I go to the bios to check the temperatures and the cpu is from low 60 to high 85 degrees (C), is it from the thermal paste?? I need some help, thank you :)

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
It’s definitely not seated properly mate. You are going to have to pull it out again, clean off the thermal paste and try again !!! It’s either not sitting correctly, you overdid it with the thermal paste or its crappy thermal paste....

jeff09

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
So I put just a little ball of thermal paste in the middle, and yeah, the cpu was over locked and the temperatures were 45C when turning on. I removed the over lock but it’s the same

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
1.12 would be it... That's not the problem then.... If you have reseated it three times and it is still failing then i would try putting the Intel Stock cooler back on. If putting the Intel Cooler back on works fine then you will have to RMA the new cooler bud. Sorry to be a pain but there is very little that can go wrong with a heatsink with a fan on top, it's not the fan as those temps you are showing means the heatsink isnt doing it's job at all.

Pain in the butt to do all this work and potentially be back where you started but this stuff happens unfortunately....

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
ah heck, if you ring around one of your local stores may give you one at no cost or very very cheap. No quick solution though bud if your sure the thermal paste is being applied properly. Im sure your trying to save money but a $10 cooler is a dangerous thing, especially if your overclocking bud...

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Ouch, that could well be the reason mate, it could be glue for all we know :) Spend $10 on some thermal paste or ask to borrow some from a mate but that would be a valid explanation for it. There isnt much that can technically go wrong with a heatsink, its a chunk of metal so the Thermal Paste now makes much more sense.... Spend $9 on a decent tube and you should fix your problem :)

TRENDING THREADS