Question CPU Overheating after changing GPU

Dec 10, 2018
Hello,

I'm running into some serious overheating problems after I changed my GPU from a MSI RX470 4GB to a Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64.

After 1 minute in Aida64 my CPU reaches 102Cº and it just crashes. I tried with side panel open, replacing thermal paste and reseating cooler but nothing works.

My Rig Setup is:
Case: Kolink Horizon
PSU: Corsair RM650x Modular
Motherboard: MSI B350 Gaming Plus
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x @ 4.1Ghz with stock cooler
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64 8GB
RAM: HyperX Fury Black 2x8GB @2800MHz

Also, I have 2 exhaust fans 1 on rear side and 1 top side and 2 intake fans on front.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm running into some serious overheating problems after I changed my GPU from a MSI RX470 4GB to a Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64.

After 1 minute in Aida64 my CPU reaches 102Cº and it just crashes. I tried with side panel open, replacing thermal paste and reseating cooler but nothing works.

My Rig Setup is:
Case: Kolink Horizon
PSU: Corsair RM650x Modular
Motherboard: MSI B350 Gaming Plus
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x @ 4.1Ghz with stock cooler
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64 8GB
RAM: HyperX Fury Black 2x8GB @2800MHz

Looks like you have overclocked the cpu a bit? Try resetting it stock settings and be sure to double check what the cpu core voltage is set to? Also does the cpu overheat in normal use (e.g. in a game)? What do the idle temps look like?

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Try it with a NOCTUA CPU cooler and Gelid Solutions GC EXTREME paste.

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s

For ultimate results, try Liquid Metal, not paste, Coollaboratory Liquid Pro.

Dec 10, 2018
Looks like you have overclocked the cpu a bit? Try resetting it stock settings and be sure to double check what the cpu core voltage is set to? Also does the cpu overheat in normal use (e.g. in a game)? What do the idle temps look like?
Idle temps are 50Cº to 60Cº.
The cpu is automatically overclocked from the MSI gaming boost button on bios but even if I disable it it reaches these frequencies automatically. with Core voltages jumping from anywhere in the 0.8V to 1.4V.
Yes the CPU overheats in any game I play but League of Legends and CSGO. Crashes in every other heavier game I try to play (i.e Battlefield V).

Idle temps are 50Cº to 60Cº.
The cpu is automatically overclocked from the MSI gaming boost button on bios but even if I disable it it reaches these frequencies automatically. with Core voltages jumping from anywhere in the 0.8V to 1.4V.
Yes the CPU overheats in any game I play but League of Legends and CSGO. Crashes in every other heavier game I try to play (i.e Battlefield V).

1.4V is a bit high for Ryzen.... stock voltage should be ~1.25v. If the voltage is set beyond where it should be that might also explain the high idle temps (given you have decent cooler and new thermal paste). It sounds like the motherboard is doing some strange things, I'd turn the gaming boost option off, maybe look at getting a bios update from MSI?

Dec 10, 2018
Try it with a NOCTUA CPU cooler and Gelid Solutions GC EXTREME paste.

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s

For ultimate results, try Liquid Metal, not paste, Coollaboratory Liquid Pro.

What if I bought a cheaper solution like a Corsair H60 and used a thermal paste like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut?

Dec 10, 2018
1.4V is a bit high for Ryzen.... stock voltage should be ~1.25v. If the voltage is set beyond where it should be that might also explain the high idle temps (given you have decent cooler and new thermal paste). It sounds like the motherboard is doing some strange things, I'd turn the gaming boost option off, maybe look at getting a bios update from MSI?
Problem is I have had the system running fine until I swapped the GPU.
Even with gaming boost off, everything on bios set to default (did bios update already) it reaches 94Cº. I don't know what else to do other than buying a higher quality thermal paste and if that doesn't work I will have to buy a new cooler, the problem is if none of that doesn't work =/

Dec 10, 2018
Manually set core voltage to 1.2-1.3v and see what happens. I have the same mobo and it does push voltage in the 1.4s by default. I manually overclocked my cpu and set voltage to 1.275v.
Would you please help me with manually overclocking? I'm not much into it. 3.9Ghz stable should be fine for me as long as I don't get 105Cº + or anything near this

At idle, you should see 10-15c. over ambient.
Likely, your cooler is not mounted well.
Using too much paste is bad, a small rice sized drop will spread out under heat and pressure.
Another error is to not tighten down the cooler evenly.
Tighten gradually in a crosswise pattern.
Your new gpu is a hot one and all of the heat is dumped into the case.
That gives the cpu cooler hotter air to work with.
I think your case supports 3 front intakes and I would move one of the exhausts to intake.
Test with your case covers off and a house fan directed at the innards.
If that fixes things, look to case cooling solutions.
Lastly, your cooler height is limited to 155mm.
A good cooler would be the cryorig H7 which is 145mm.

InvalidError

Titan
Using too much paste is bad
Too much paste doesn't matter aside from cleaning the mess afterward and just wasting the excess material. LTT and a few other YTers have made videos about this in response to critiques about how they don't seem to care about how they apply paste nor how they tend to use 'too much' of it. You can put a whole bucket of the stuff on the CPU, most of the excess will ooze out when the HSF gets mounted on it and you'll have a 2-3C difference between perfect paste application and drowning the whole socket in paste. Too little paste on the other hand can quickly go to 10C worse. Unless you are using conductive paste or liquid metal, a little too much is better since it eliminates the possibility of having to redo the paste due to not having enough.

Dec 10, 2018
Using too much paste is bad, a small rice sized drop will spread out under heat and pressure.
I think your case supports 3 front intakes and I would move one of the exhausts to intake.

Thing is my new gpu isn't that hot.. On full load it doesn't go past 69Cº with 60% fan speed where my old one would reach 80Cº easily
I just reseated my cooler this morning and it didn't fix anything. I don't have a house fan but with side panel off I get about the same temperatures.. maybe 2-3Cº lower.
Lastly, do you think cryorig h7 is good to last or should I buy a better one?

Dec 10, 2018

Also, is H7 Plus better than H7 Quad Lumi RGB. What are the difference besides RGB?

Set fan profile to max RPM? If heatsink is too hot to touch, then clearly not enough air is moving to dissipate this heat.... What is the +temp offset in readings for 2600X? +13C? I know older CPUs showed +27C higher readings than actual....but, if your system is crashing , clearly there is an issue..

Dec 10, 2018
Ok I don't know what I did but now I'm getting 30Cº Idle, 70Cº full load at 3.95Ghz 1.2V.
I just took my computer apart mounted everything again and it seems to be solved. Surprisingly I didn't take the cooler off or replaced thermal paste this time.

Reactions: cdrkf