[SOLVED] cpu overheating after new thermal paste I7 3770K

McDulle

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2013
Hi,
is it possible to damage the cpu if you mess with the bios settings?
(of course, but how can one tell?)
I tried to overclock the CPU I7 3770K, upon failing, i continuously get high temps.
So I reapplied thermal paste, but the problem remains.
I'm running stock settings so no overclock, stock fan stressing it with fur-mark CPU burner gives me temps to 105°C which is the thermal limit of the 3770.
But booting or light PC usage is possible but CPU go easy above 70°C.
Did I damage my CPU? But it still works a little bit? Any suggestions on further trouble shooting?
I7 3770K
Asrock extreme 4 Z77
32 (4x8) Of Kingston DDR3
Win 7 ult

Solution
The stock fan/cooler was insufficient for the K-series i7, that's why they discontinued providing a fan/cooler with it around 6th-gen. It will do fine for basic stuff, but putting the CPU under stress test will show just how insufficient a stock Intel cooler is for a K-series i7.

Get yourself an aftermarket CPU cooler.

Suggestions:

Entry: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Mid: Scythe Mugen or Scythe Fuma
High: Noctua NH-D15

Be sure to check your case for max cooler dimensions (height). The Scythe coolers are typically shorter and will tend to have more compatibility with smaller cases than other high-end coolers. They are even shorter than the CM Hyper 212 Evo.
The stock fan/cooler was insufficient for the K-series i7, that's why they discontinued providing a fan/cooler with it around 6th-gen. It will do fine for basic stuff, but putting the CPU under stress test will show just how insufficient a stock Intel cooler is for a K-series i7.

Get yourself an aftermarket CPU cooler.

Suggestions:

Entry: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Mid: Scythe Mugen or Scythe Fuma
High: Noctua NH-D15

Be sure to check your case for max cooler dimensions (height). The Scythe coolers are typically shorter and will tend to have more compatibility with smaller cases than other high-end coolers. They are even shorter than the CM Hyper 212 Evo.

Last edited:
Solution

McDulle

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2013
Thanks for the quick reply,
I'll look for an other cooler, I probably have another laying around, the specs suggest it should work:
Intel E97378-001 - Max TDP: 95W
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz): TDP: 77 W

The stock cooler did its job several years before, so still not sure what to think of the situation.
I didn't mention I probably did some stupid stuff messing in the bios because I was able to blew my 2 GPU setup 2 x HD7970.
Starting to trouble shoot I removed the gpu's checked the temp because I continuously got BSODs, figured the temp are to high,
so reapplied paste but now it seemed to be worse (high temps)

Leaves me the question did I blew the CPU or maybe mobo?

I don't have any spare mobo or cpu to check, did check gpu on another build defenitly blew 1 not sure of the second one.

Thanks for the quick reply,
I'll look for an other cooler, I probably have another laying around, the specs suggest it should work:
Intel E97378-001 - Max TDP: 95W
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz): TDP: 77 W

The stock cooler did its job several years before, so still not sure what to think of the situation.
I didn't mention I probably did some stupid stuff messing in the bios because I was able to blew my 2 GPU setup 2 x HD7970.
Starting to trouble shoot I removed the gpu's checked the temp because I continuously got BSODs, figured the temp are to high,
so reapplied paste but now it seemed to be worse (high temps)

Leaves me the question did I blew the CPU or maybe mobo?

I don't have any spare mobo or cpu to check, did check gpu on another build defenitly blew 1 not sure of the second one.
What power supply do you have?

McDulle

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2013
A Corsair 750W: CX750M
I've already tried with another PSU, also a corsair 750W but other suffix

Also checked voltages both PSU or ok, difficult to perform a DUT